This is the first supported release of Drupal 8 and is ready for use on production sites. See the CHANGELOG.txt for an extensive summary of changes and improvements since Drupal 7!
There are no known critical issues with this release. Search the issue queue for all known issues.
The following issues may affect people running Drupal 8.0.0 on specific hosting environments:
- Installs on php-fpm environments may see fatal errors on enabling modules, due to #2572293: Do not rebuild router in kernel.terminate.
- While PHP 7 does not yet have a stable release, Drupal 8.0.x is now tested on every commit with PHP 5.5, 5.6 and 7 with a 100% pass rate, so should support PHP 7’s first stable release once it is available.
- There is not yet per-commit testing for MySQL 5.7.9 or MariaDB 10.1.8 (both released October 2015), but a minor incompatibility issue was fixed since RC4, and there are no known issues with them otherwise. We intend to add per-commit testing on one of these databases soon.
- Particular Apache configurations may have issues with serving public file assets. Issue: #2619250: Remove symlinks option from .htaccess
Changes since 8.0.0-rc4
A small number of minor backward-compatibility breaks have been introduced since RC4 to resolve two major bugs before release:
- Views no longer uses fields on base tables when they also exists on the data table to resolve a promient bug in the Views UI. This update requires module-provided default views to be re-exported.
- A new ContentEntityStorageInterface and hook_entity_field_values_init() and hook_entity_translation_create() have been added to replace cases where
hook_entity_create()was used for cases other than creating new entities.
hook_entity_create()is no longer called in those cases. This prevents unintended data issues from being introduced by modules written on monolingual sites.
As of 8.0.0, we will be following semantic versioning for future releases. Patch releases should not contain any API additions or deprecations. Minor versions may add new deprecations with backwards compatibility layers or change code marked @internal. See draft documentation for the Drupal 8 backwards compatibility policy and
the policy on Allowed changed during the Drupal 8 release.
- #2606334 by Gábor Hojtsy, YesCT, dawehner, Cottser, larowlan, Wim Leers, catch, davidhernandez, nevergone, attiks, David_Rothstein, chx, MustangGB, joelpittet, plach, tim.plunkett, Ryan Weal, thamas, LewisNyman, gaele, bojanz, yoroy, skyredwang: Update CHANGELOG.txt for the release (compile list of high level changes)
- #2382675 by plach, yched, alexpott: hook_entity_create() affects the data of new translations of existing entities in unexpected and undocumented ways
- #2458223 followup by catch, dawehner, alexpott, xjm: Fix block content view ordering on postgres
- #2486467 by alexpott, mtift, tim.plunkett: Single config import form needs to use the config validation events
- #2458223 by geertvd, eiriksm, dawehner, lokapujya, Gábor Hojtsy, jeqq, plach, Dom., jhodgdon, xjm, catch, alexpott, jibran: Duplicated field handlers in field UI for some base table fields
- #2617224 by Wim Leers: Move around/fix some documentation
- #2189345 by benjy, sanduhrs, Mile23, joshtaylor, jbekker, klausi, sun, zaporylie, pfrenssen, jsacksick: run-tests.sh should exit with a failure code if any tests failed
- #2607294 by andypost: Fix entity.api bundle examples
- #2616282 by peter.walter, mikeryan, chx, alexpott: error creating migrate_map table with mysql 5.7.9
- #2614014 by joelpittet, alexpott, dawehner, Cottser, LewisNyman: Progress bar, fieldsets, messages broken in the installer due to theme ordering bug
- #1919468 by alexpott, Berdir: EntityManager::getAllBundleInfo() adds default entity_type_id bundle for entity types with bundles
- #2616336 by alexpott: PathAliasTest is using the RandomGeneratorTrait causing unnecessary output in the testbot logs
- #2616846 by alexpott: PHPUnit is broken again from the command line
- #2603138 by catch, Wim Leers, tim.plunkett, chx, Fabianx, effulgentsia: CSS/JS asset caching can easily be trashed
- #2612692 by Wim Leers: Add Marek Lewandowski as a CKEditor module maintainer
- #2606334 by Gábor Hojtsy, Cottser, dawehner, Wim Leers, davidhernandez, catch, larowlan, nevergone, attiks, YesCT: Update CHANGELOG.txt for the release (compile list of high level changes)
- #2615776 by alexpott: LocalePluralFormatTest is failing on Postgres
- #2608174 by webflo, hussainweb: Update composer-merge-plugin to latest version
- #2501635 by olli, Lendude: Fix QueryParameterTest
- #2615450 by webflo: Fix random test failure caused by EntityFile::processStubRow
- #2607824 by Nitesh Pawar, r_sharma08: Asterisks in language-negotiation-configure-form.html.twig's docblock don't line up
- #2609904 by timmillwood, dawehner: Replace deprecated entity_create() calls in NormalizerTestBase