Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
In past few months (since Dublin) we reached the agreement to bring the contributed Media Entity module to core (under the name Media), which will allow us to implement better and more powerful media handling.
For more info see, and .
This is blocker for all issues that we'll be focusing on at Media sprint in Berlin (starts on December 12th 2016). Marking as major for that reason.
Bring Media entity module in core mostly as it is. Any changes made will need upgrade paths for the existing module users.
A special branch is maintained in the Media entity module with this changes and will be rebased against 8.x-1.x regularly.
Media entity is stable and extensively used and there are no urgent changes planned for it. Other steps, which will happen after and not directly change Media entity are explained in.
- MOST IMPORTANT: reviewers please identify any must have issues that should happen in this issue or followups to ensure the module gets stable before 8.3.0 either as the first commit or eventually, otherwise @berdir's comment applies from
- Standardize function names #42-3
- Figure out how to handle attributions: Media entity had a lot of contributors in last 3 years. I am not sure how to handle this in a fair way. Best solution IMO would be subtree pull with full history.
- Address the three major concerns raised by Wim Leers, confirmed by tim.plunkett — see #230 (Wim) + #233 (Tim) + #235 (media meeting notes about this)
- Add the missing entity validation constraint test logic — see #253
- Address the
MediaThumbnailHandler(Interface)concern in #255.
Data model changes
Adds new fieldable and revisionable entity type.
and and to provide media type plugins. These are planned to live in the same module.
which would possibly live in a different (experimental) module.
Less significant ones directly related to this issue. Need to identify which ones are requirement for Media to land stable.