Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
This issue is spun off from.
The bundle selection for an entity reference field is probably the most important piece of configuration for that field. E.g., in the case of a node reference, the user wants to create a reference to their song nodes on their album nodes. In the case of taxonomy, the user wants to add their topic vocabulary to their pages. It's the first thing the user probably wants to choose.
Currently, however the bundle selection for reference fields is buried on the bottom of the third screen of the field creation workflow, under a fieldset ("Reference type") and parent field ("Reference method," "default") that, to the end user, have nothing to do with selecting the bundle they want to use. This makes adding and configuring ER fields confusing.
There are a few ways we could go about fixing this, all with pros and cons, not necessarily mutually exclusive.
- Make the bundle selection a field-level setting rather than an instance setting. (What is the usecase for having wholly different referenced data on instances of the same field?)
- By default, only enable the default reference method. Make overriding the reference method with a view or such a separate configuration.
- Move the bundle selection up above the fold somehow. It doesn't make sense for it to be after the default value list, since it determines what's possible in the default value list. Is the current form ordering the result of Field API limitations?
- Improve the label for the "default" reference method.
- Improve the labeling for the "reference type" and "reference method".
- Other suggestions?
- Discuss possible approaches.
User interface changes
|#13||tagsx settings for Article | drupal 8.0.3 2016-02-05 15-04-10.png||63 KB||Gábor Hojtsy|