Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Last updated October 3, 2015.
We want to radically improve our content creation and sitebuilder tools for Drupal 8, we have laid out a UX strategy . Below we have outlined the most important topics we want to improve in Drupal 8.
How can you help out?
- Conduct Drupal 8 usability studies
- Discussion on the various design proposals in the Usability group.
- Help implementing ideas in the D8UX Usability issue queue.
- Chat with us in #drupal-usability on IRC.
For most of this to happen, we need your help!
Node/add page improvements
The content creation experience is at the center of Drupal, its one of those screens that we want to keep improving. For Drupal 8 we want to drastically improve the design of the content creation page. We have done research and now in the process of brainstorming ideas.
- Research on a interaction model for the content creation page.
The current content listing is very basic and often isn't very useful for content creators. We intend to iteratively improve this page and add features such as searching.
A WYSIWYG editor has been the number one requested feature for Drupal core in the past few years. We are currently working towards a candidate in a sandbox project.
Contextual blocks that can be rearranged and organized into flexible layouts through a drag and drop interface. This initiative needs major involvement of contributors both in terms of design as development to redesign the way we currently handle blocks. We currently are still researching how to make this all happen.
- Discussion in Drupal 8 Blocks & Layouts everywhere initiative group.
- Research on pages & components.
- Research on context usecases.
- Technical prototyping is happening in sandbox of EclipseGc.
The Field UI has fundamental issues that cannot be solved by tweaking the existing interface. This needs a major overhaul along the lines of form builder field UI, which will tie in heavily with the layout/context initiative.
- Technical prototyping is happening in a sandbox of swentel.
- Accessibility review and development, to make this interface truly accessible.
The Ui while managing menu items in drupal is not very comfortable to use once you have say 300 items in a list. It becomes a tough job to manage when you have multiple level of menu items and you really want to re-organise them or say bulk edit them.
Extending Drupal core is a hard task, users struggle to understand that you can extend Drupal and than how to find and install the right project.
- Discussion on understanding that you can extend Drupal.
- Research on how people use the module page.
- Technical prototype of Project browser.
- Deployment of Drupal.org project browser server.
- Streamline the install/update UX, by tackling update manager issues.
Design Drupal 8's UX for devices with small screens and touch screens.
- Strategy for the Mobile Initiative
- Re-thinking the Drupal admin interface through HTML prototyping.
- Optimizing core for mobile, by following mobile issues.
Focused install profile
Drupal core lacks focus in any of its core install profiles. The Snowman initiative plans to change this and provide a profile focussed on building a small community website.
- Research and discuss usecases for snowman.
We have done a lot of research this cycle, to understand the problems that users run into and how our new improvements perform.
- Google UX Study 2012 Detailed Results.
- University of Minesota UX Study Results.
- UX Study on creating content types.
Growing the UX-Team
The UX-team is very small and we want to educate more developers and engage more designers.
- Feedback sessions for initiatives
- Bi-weekly UX meetings in #drupal-usability in IRC on Mondays at UTC 8PM (4PM EST)
- Close collaborations with designers, researchers and developers on (contrib) projects.
- Drupal event sessions on Drupal 8UX, pattern library, user experience and design in opensource
Building a pattern library
We are in the process of building a pattern library, which will contain the majority of standardized UI patterns within Drupal Core. The goal is to improve this library further, add missing patterns and add useful tutorials to make your contrib project more usable.
- Requires additional patterns and descriptions in Listings, Form elements and Information Architecture
- Research on consistency across form errors, buttons and flow.
Drupal.org UX improvements