Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
The Media module provides an extensible framework for managing files and multimedia assets, regardless of whether they are hosted on your own site or a 3rd party site - it is commonly referred to as a 'file browser to the internet'.
Media is a drop-in replacement for the Drupal core upload field with a unified User Interface where editors and administrators can upload, manage, and reuse files and multimedia assets. Any files uploaded before Media was enabled will automatically take advantage of the many of the features it comes with.
Media's aim is to solve Drupal's long standing media handling problem.
Drupal 7 installation
Media for Drupal 8 is undergoing a re-architecture to individual components. See this issue for more detail. Media will eventually be ported to Drupal 8, but more as a proof of concept of these smaller modules. You can still do a lot with individual pieces.
Thank you Aaron
Without his kindness, generosity, humility, and dedication, this module and many many others would not have been possible. This module and all Drupal Media team efforts are in dedication to him and all he has done for our community.
You will be missed, friend.
What is the difference between 1.x and 2.x?
The 7.x-1.x version is the stable and recommended version for most users and production sites. It has reached feature freeze and will not be getting any new features, only bug fixes.
The 7.x-2.x version offers a lot of new improvements and is currently the active development version for new features and UI improvements. Bugs fixed in 7.x-2.x will also be fixed in 7.x-1.x if possible.
See the wiki page on differences between the 1.x and 2.x versions for more detailed information.
- Embed files into any textarea using a WYSIWYG editor (requires the Wysiwyg module).
- Makes files fieldable, enabling the use of text fields to store captions on images, taxonomy fields for audio file genres, etc.
- Provides a robust display system, allowing images to be be displayed via specific image styles, videos to be loaded through third-party players and more.
- Enables the user of remote media from sites like YouTube, Flickr or any oEmbed provider.
- A unified interface for adding new or reusing existing media with file and image fields.
- Administration screens for CRUD dealing with Media.
- Mass importing of files.
- Drag and drop upload (requires the Plupload module).
All versions of Media require:
Media 7.x-2.x additionality requires:
- Accessibility: Media 1.x does not have an out-of-the-box solution for handling HTML attributes, including alt.
- Audio/Video: Media 1.x does not include any way to 'display' audio and video media files out of the box. The use of MediaElement or MediaFront is recommended.
- Non images and WYSIWYG: There are several known issues in both Media 1.x and 2.x when embedding non-image media via the WYSWIYG. The use of Entity Embed is recommended.
- File Lock
- Entity Embed
- Media CKEditor if using the CKEditor module (instead of the WYSIWYG module)
- Entity view modes
- Remote stream wrapper
- Media Library
How can I get involved?
- Media Support Squad: Modeled after the successful Views Bug Squad to help out in the issue queues. See the group wiki page for more info.
- IRC: The Media team has their own IRC channel: #drupal-media which is open to all Media team members, contributors, and users to hold real-time discussions and ask questions.
- Issue Queue: Participate in the issue queue by helping be a part of the bug squad or by creating and testing patches.
- Group: See events and discussions happening in the Media group on groups.drupal.org
- Media group on g.d.o.
- Media module F.A.Q.
- Presentation at DrupalCon Chicago
- Presentation: Multimedia handing in Drupal 7
- For developers, you may want to use the Media development install profile.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Content, Fields, File Management, Filters/Editors, Media, Utility, Views
- Reported installs: 282,622 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 1,837,580
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: February 22, 2017
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.