File entity provides interfaces for managing files. It also extends the core file entity, allowing files to be fieldable, grouped into types, viewed (using display modes) and formatted using field formatters. File entity integrates with a number of modules, exposing files to Views, Entity API, Token and more.
File Entity is required by the 7.x-2.x branch of the Media module.
The File entity project is not compatible with Media 7.x-1.x. You must use the File entity module bundled with Media 7.x-1.x.
- Field and File modules (Drupal core)
- Chaos tool suite (ctools)
- If you are having problems with the alternate and title text fields when using image fields without the Media module widget, there is a core patch in that will resolve it that hasn't been included in an official release yet. You should apply that patch to your core install.
File Management Initiative
We are currently working on getting large parts of File entity into Drupal core.
File entity exposes Drupal files, enabling them to be managed. To further extend Drupal's file handling abilities, including:
- Media module
- Handing files from external sources and services such as YouTube, Vimeo and Flickr.
- Inserting files into content using WYSIWYG editors.
- Reusing existing files in file and image fields.
- Mass importing of files.
- File entity revisions module
For more information on File entity, see the following resources:
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 153,990 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 1,075,614
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: June 3, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.