The idea behind Sitebase
Everything deserves the best possible start. It is not only true for everything living, it is equally true for every idea we turn into a project. Including website projects.
That is the main reason for why Sitebase will be limited to a pure Drupal 7 Core install profile. It will thus not include any contributed modules or themes.
The idea is simply to find ways of give every site project, built with Drupal, the best and most flexible start possible.
Some of the goals are:
- A better initial installation to build production sites with
- Smart options to avoid the need of clicking around for basic configuration after install
- Default to no content access for anonymous visitors
- Easy to extend for own needs
- Well documented and with great examples to make it easy for sitebuilders and novice coders to tweak
- Features friendly
Basically, the idea is to make all common basic configuration needs available during the install process. This will empower users to then completely focus on building their site. Thus avoiding to have to click around checking things.
Sitebase will, just like Minimal, not include and content types or other content related configurations. It will however have all the content building modules enabled.
Why no contribs?
The simple reason is that including any contribs prevents the purpose of this install profile. It would make choices for you no matter how useful that contrib module or theme is.
Instead the idea is to make it really easy to extend it by using for example the Features module.