We have a very nice translation system in place that is based on translating fields on entities. For many cases this work very well, but in some cases we need to special care. One of these places are menu items. Right now, when you display menu items, fx with the menu block from core, all menu items are displayed regardless of it being translated or not. This is bad for a few reasons.
- Having a menu with mixed languages is never desired for site builders / end users
- It's not possible to hide menu items on certain languages (where they might not be relevant)
The ideal solution would only display menu items either without a specific language or in the current language.
- Install Drupal with several langauge and enable menu translation
- Display the main menu with the core menu block
- Create some pages with links in the main menu
- Translate some of the menu items
Only the translated menu items are displayed in the menu
All the menu items are displayed in the menu, untranslated in the original (or another) language.