The Synonyms module enriches Entities with the notion of synonyms. Currently the module provides the following functionality:
- support of synonyms through attached fields. Any field, for which synonyms behavior implementation exists, can be enabled as source of synonyms.
- support of synonyms through base fields (8.x) or Entity properties (7.x). Base fields stored in database (as opposed to being calculated on-the-fly) can be enabled as source of synonyms.
- synonyms-friendly autocomplete and select widgets for entity reference field type.
- integration with Views. Synonyms module provides a few filters and contextual filters that allow filtering not only by entity name but also by one of its synonyms.
Supported synonyms providers
Module ships with ability to provide synonyms from the following locations:
- "Text" field type
- "Taxonomy Term Reference" field type (7.x)
- "Entity Reference" field type
- "Commerce Product Reference" field type (7.x)
- "Commerce Price" field type (7.x)
- "Number" field type
- "Float" field type
- "Decimal" field type
- "Email" field type (8.x)
- "Telephone" field type (8.x)
- Entity properties stored in database
Worth mentioning here: this list is easily extended further by implementing new synonyms providers in your code. Refer to Synonyms documentation for more details on how to accomplish it.
Granulation within synonyms behavior
In order to achieve greater flexibility, this module introduced additional
granularity into what "synonyms" mean. This granularity is expressed via
"synonyms behavior" idea whatsoever. Then you can enable different synonyms behaviors for different synonyms providers. For example, field "Typos" can be part of autocomplete behavior, while field "Other spellings" can be part of select behavior. Currently the following synonym behaviors are recognized (other modules actually can extend this list):
- Autocomplete - whether synonyms from this provider should participate in autocomplete suggestions.
- Select - whether synonyms from this provider should be included in the synonyms friendly select widgets.
Therefore, on the Synonyms configuration page you will get to add/remove certain synonym providers for certain synonym behaviors. Also, each behavior and provider may have its own settings that you get to configure too.
Apart from stated above features, the 8.x-1.x version also has the following:
- 2 form elements are provided for developers: synonyms-friendly entity autocomplete and synonyms-friendly entity select.
Apart from stated above features, the 7.x-1.x version also has the following:
- synonyms-friendly autocomplete and select widgets for taxonomy_term_reference and commerce_product_reference (through Synonyms Commerce submodule) fields.
- integration with Drupal search functionality through Synonyms Search submodule. It enables searching content by synonyms of the terms that the content references. Synonyms Search submodule also integrates with Term Search contributed module in a fashion that allows your terms to be found by their synonyms.
- integration with Search API. If you include entity synonyms into your Search API search index, your clients will be able to find content with search keywords that contain synonyms and not actual names of entities.
- Synonyms module provides a Views field for all eligible entities that contains a list of synonyms associated with the entity in question.
The Synonyms 7.x-1.x module requires the following modules:
The Synonyms 7.x-1.x module integrates with (but does not require) the following
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 1,604 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 21,072
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: October 27, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.