The features module enables the capture and management of features in Drupal. A feature is a collection of Drupal entities which taken together satisfy a certain use-case.
Features provides a UI and API for taking different site building components from modules with exportables and bundling them together in a single feature module. A feature module is like any other Drupal module except that it contains additional information in its
info file so that configuration can be checked, updated, or reverted programmatically.
Examples of features might be:
- A blog
- A pressroom
- An image gallery
For Drupal 8, we've rewritten Features from the ground up. If you're coming from a previous version of Drupal, you'll find some great new enhancements but also a familiar user interface for editing features. A beta version of Features 8.x-3.x is available. If you are updating from a previous alpha release, please make sure to read the release notes carefully for updating instructions. If you simply need to export and deploy simple site configuration, the D8 configuration management system should be used instead of Features. You will use Features in D8 to export bundled functionality (like a "photo gallery feature").
The Drupal 8 version of Features requires the Configuration Update Manager module.
The 7.x-2.x version
The 2.x branch greatly changes (and hopefully improves) the user interface of the Create/Recreate Features screen. In addition, it adds new functionality including:
- Ability to write your feature export directly to the Drupal file system (like drush fu).
- Ability to remove auto-detected items from your export.
- Ability to work with conflicting features.
The 7.x-2.x version is very compatible with feature exports created from the 7.x-1.x version. However, User Permission features will need to be re-exported, and Field features will be split into Field_Base and Field_Instance exports the next time you export. See New Field Bases and Instances in Features for more info.
There are currently no plans to port this new interface or new functionality to Drupal 6.
The 7.x-1.x version
The 1.x branch is no longer supported and is seeking a maintainer here: https://www.drupal.org/node/2706631
- The handbook on Features for Drupal 8 contains up to date documentation of how to develop and configure features.
- Blog post by on Features for Drupal 8 by Mike Potter.
- DrupalCon Los Angeles presentation on Features for Drupal 8 by Mike Potter.
- Getting started guide contributed by Clemens Tolboom, Itangalo
API.txtFor developers, site builders
- Configuration Development provides automated import and export of configuration between the active configuration storage and exported modules.
- Config Menu Link, a drop-in replacement for core's Custom Menu Link module, enables export of menu links, including to Features.
- Configuration Tools is a package of modules that help to manage Drupal 8 configuration files.
- Configuration Update Manager provides a report that allows you to see the differences between the configuration items provided by the current versions of your installed modules, themes, and install profile, and the configuration on your site. From this report, you can also import new configuration provided by updates, and revert your site configuration to the provided values.
- Configuration Synchronizer: Provides methods for safely importing site configuration from updated modules and themes.
- Features Override
- Strongarm - export system Variables
- FTools - misc tools for Features (most functionality incorporated into Features 7.x-2.x)
- Features Plumber (not needed with Features 7.x-2.x)
- Features Extra
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Developer, Drush
- Reported installs: 283,708 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 3,131,188
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: July 7, 2016