Architecture

This issues serves as overview and should help to track progress. Background information is available at http://d8rules.org, also technical & architectural discussion can be found at read #2245611: [META] Rules 8.x architecture. The "#d8rules meeting notes" are organized on google docs.

Contributing

  1. Beginner (you are looking for low-hanging fruits and small fixes which usually take less than 1 hour of work): Rules 8.x issues with the Novice tag
  2. Intermediate (you have some experience with coding in php, good progress can be made in 2+ hours): Rules 8.x issues with the Contributor tag
  3. Advanced (you want to get your feet wet in drupal 8 core integration issues): Drupal 8 core issues related to Rules 8.x


Rules 8.x M1 - Rules core API fundamentals

Goal: A beta for Drupal 8 core is just around the corner and in order to make sure that the core Conditions API & Context APIs fit the requirements of the Rules module.

Rules core engine, plugin types

Align Rules condition & action APIs with core

Parameter configuration & Context mapping

(Basic direct input support , Basic context mapping)


Rules 8.x M2 - Rules core completion

Goal: After making sure that core APIs are in-line with the requirements of the Rules module, we need to make sure that the Rules APIs are ready early enough, so that all other contributed modules that get ported to Drupal 8 can port their Rules integrations right from the beginning.

#2269519: Add issues for 8.x Milestone 2

Complete Rules engine features

Rules plugins, part two (Events, Loops, ...)

Entity token support

Configuration entity, CMI and integrity

Generic Rules integrations

  • Rules integration for "Data"
  • Rules integration for Entities

Reusable UI components

Rules UI part 1


Rules 8.x M3 - Rules release

incl. UI, scheduler & integrations

Goal: Site builders will be able to start configuring workflows on their Drupal 8 sites from October 2014 on, when Rules 8.x will be released.

Engine follow-ups

Rules UI (#2471465: [META] Rules 8.x UI)

Rules scheduler port

#2683463: Port Rules scheduler to Drupal 8

Documentation

Port existing integrations

Bonus

Comments

dasjo’s picture

dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Title: [META] Rules 8.x M1 - Rules core API fundamentals » [META] Rules 8.x Roadmap
Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Version: 8.x-1.x-dev » 8.x-3.x-dev

I've moved the code to the 3.x branch - so we can move issues to that as well now. Development will happen on Github for now, i.e. https://github.com/fago/rules.

fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
Related issues: +#2245611: [META] Rules 8.x architecture
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

dasjo’s picture

dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Thank you everyone participating in the discussions and sprints around DrupalCon Amsterdam!

I gave a 12 minutes update on the #d8rules initiative - this is the link to the video
https://amsterdam2014.drupal.org/session/drupal-8-contrib-module-update
and here are the slides
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1b2_LuGr7-MgO9Ni6CX4SBv4e73ejjTVO...

As outcome of the Community Summit on crowd funding, Rudi van Es created a great summary of the lessons learned
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DO6Cra1GcW45lP5Chwsp21fYE5rVgGHZzkhi...

Related to funding, you might also want to check out the video from the core conversation by YesCT and alexpott
https://amsterdam2014.drupal.org/session/funding-drupal-core

On thursday we had a BoF to get contributors up to speed with development for Rules in Drupal 8 and on Friday we sprinted the whole day to port actions and get Milestone 1 finished.

Some pictures
introduction to the funding topic at the community summit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/borisbaldinger/15203791838/in/set-72157647...
talking d8rules funding with rudi
https://www.flickr.com/photos/borisbaldinger/15391996035/in/set-72157647...
presenting the d8rules update
https://www.flickr.com/photos/borisbaldinger/15397950091/in/set-72157647...
yesct and alexpott on funding
https://plus.google.com/photos/117974890922640046296/albums/606445629307...
d8rules bof
https://plus.google.com/photos/117974890922640046296/albums/606445629307...
d8rules sprinters
https://plus.google.com/photos/117974890922640046296/albums/606445629307...

klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
tassilogroeper’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue tags: +drupaldevdays
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Added a new meta issues for the UI: #2471465: [META] Rules 8.x UI

fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Posted a summary of our weekly #d8rules meeting on irc / hangout
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vgWUGq_zsOlm3aUUAEyMWkOlhb20TmEFTs1t...

fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes

Major update of the roadmap structure: based on discussions with klausi and fago we re-prioritized between milestones 2 & 3 so that UI things can happen earlier.

dasjo’s picture

Category: Task » Plan
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
C_Logemann’s picture

Issue summary: View changes

Added "#d8rules meeting notes" google docs link to summary.

C_Logemann’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
C_Logemann’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Some updates.

fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
fago’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
tormi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes

Update docs address.

klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

@fago @klausi and me updated the roadmap for Milestone 3.

We also started using the beta blocker tag.

On overview of the recent progress has been posted on our blog:
http://d8rules.org/news/d8rules-reaches-milestone-2

klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
klausi’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
Vic Luijkx’s picture

First of all I would like to say a big thank you for all the effort every rules developer is putting into this project!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I am curious whether there is an estimated completion date for milestone 3. I've been looking at the timeline on d8rules.org. However, I was unable to figure out which track the rules module is on right now.

axaios’s picture

Can we hope for a stable Rules release anytime soon? I think it's the biggest missing module for D8.

dasjo’s picture

Issue summary: View changes
dasjo’s picture

@Vic Luijkx @axaios thanks for your interest! as you can see on http://d8rules.org/, we currently don't have funding for milestone 3. as the maintainers don't have enough free time available, we basically rely on other contributors to jump in or get funding for milestone 3 to provide a timeline for finishing milestone 3.

Pls’s picture

I think Rules needs to have more visibility about this funding issue. Community loves this module and I'm sure they would be willing to donate and push this forward. Would be nice to have some marketing effort on milestone 3 funding - Twitter, Drupalfund.us, even Kickstarter could be option I guess (or any other popular funding platform).

I mean https://www.drupalfund.us/project/d8rules-support-rules-module-drupal-8 page has pretty old info and it be good to just create as new project for milestone 3. This should get the ball rolling.

Let's make this happen, Rules rulez :)

axaios’s picture

+1

hansfn’s picture

I think Rules needs to have more visibility about this funding issue.

I wasn't even aware that it was an issue. The webpage https://www.drupalfund.us/project/d8rules-support-rules-module-drupal-8 states:

106 % Funded [...] Successfully funded

I'm happy to donate and market the need for funding, but that web page needs to be updated or a new one at another service needs to be created. And if the funding should continue to go through drupalfund.us they really, really need to update their certificate.

Maybe this discussion needs it's own issue?

gge’s picture

axaios’s picture

Come on guys. Create another funding campaign and let's be done with it. It's such a pity that this module is abandoned.

dasjo’s picture

If you are interested in helping the Rules module make progress, fago and me are available for chats during the summits of DrupalCon Vienna on Monday and will try to schedule a BoF as well.

kingfisher64’s picture

Been scouring d8rules site and other resources to find the latest info.

Would someone involved in the project be kind enough to clarify its status as it *looks* like there are a few milestones left to achieve (looking from the outside with limited knowledge).

Kind regards

mitchell’s picture

It looks like Rules-8.x has a small but significant estimated userbase (compared to 7.x), 33% (300k / 900k) vs 0.03% (4k/160k). So has it stalled on UI only? See also #2913095: Business Rules module overlap discussion for discussion about and link to a highly-related module.

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone,

the #d8rules initiative has been almost stalled for a while because of a) no developers actively working on it and b) no funding has been provided since completing milestone 2 (http://d8rules.org/news/d8rules-reaches-milestone-2).

during drupalcon vienna, we had various good talks but nothing to be confirmed yet. let me share though what we told others to keep everyone at the same page:

the overall status of porting the rules module to drupal 8 is:
- milestones 1 & 2 have been completed
- milestone 3 is pretty much open
so we are at about 70% of the project

given that fago can't dedicate the required free time to work on the module and we don't have anyone else currently experienced and available on working on rules for drupal 8, we basically need the community to step up to help find a solution. what we can provide is expert guidance and reviews but we would really need at least one experienced drupal 8 developer to work actively on finishing the last milestone.

our own estimation was that we would need 300h hours to complete the last milestone. its not really possible to estimate how much time a new contributor would need to help port the module but from our experience, we can say that its not a trivial task.

with dries' mention of the Rules module being one of the main blockers from the contributed module space for drupal 8 adoption it would be great if we could get back momentum behind the #d8rules initiative. speaking from my own perspective that i think aligns with most of us who have been actively involved in #d8rules, i would like to highlight that we would also be very happy to see the module get to a stable phase! considering all the great support that has been provided in the early phases of the initiative and the many hours of development time and coordination time that already went into getting to the point of 70% completion where we are at right now.

what will happen next is, we will run regular, bi-weekly initiative meetings again where we would be happy to get in touch with those interested in contributing.

best,
josef / dasjo

dasjo’s picture

the first of our bi-weekly initiative meetings will take place thursday, 19th of october at 13:30 UTC
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

the meeting will be via google hangouts and announced in the #d8rules channel of https://www.drupal.org/slack

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone, the #d8rules meeting takes place today 13:30 UTC / 15:30 CEST

we'll meet in this hangout
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

updates from today's initiative meeting
- no updates on getting more developers on board officially
- test runners are working again #2913228: D.O. test runners fail - incompatible drupal/coder version constraint
- were able to fix some issues like #2827106: Data comparison condition missing negate option/operator thanks to help from jonathan1055

what's next?
- planning to make progress on typed integration as a next step #2871403: Add a textarea input widget
- we should clean up the issue queue
- we would like to be able to identify blockers for contributing developers
- we would like to clarify drush support - which versions work right now? see #2816033: Rules registers no listeners on rare occasions.

next initiative meeting:
Thursday 2nd of November 14:30 UTC / 15:30 CET
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

kingfisher64’s picture

Thank you dasjo for giving us a comprehensive update.

What about starting a new funding campaign and getting it into drupal newsletter dasjo?

I can't believe the community would not bet behind (financially) this project being completed and you getting a drupal dev to help complete the 3rd milestone.

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone, the #d8rules meeting takes in an hour 14:30 UTC / 15:30 CET
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

we'll meet in this hangout
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

here's an update from today's call:
- josef will post the general status update on d8rules.org as well to have everyone informed
- josef will add http://fibonacciwebstudio.com/ to the supporters page, thanks for their support as batch processors!
- fago worked on mentoring, making progress on #2871403: Add a textarea input widget

our next initiative meeting happens thursday 16th of november 14:30 UTC
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

dasjo’s picture

kingfisher64: thanks for your suggestion with regards to another funding round. currently, we are mostly concerned about limited development resources on our side. asking for funding doesn't solve our main problem that we need someone who can actively develop for d8rules.

dasjo’s picture

Hi everyone,

the next #d8rules initiative meeting starts in 20 minutes at 15:30 CET. See you in the following hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

Best josef / dasjo

dasjo’s picture

notes from today's #d8rules initiative meeting:

- Participants: fago, dasjo, max, fabian
- Josef has a status blog post draft ready to be published on d8rules.org https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E4dSAyvcgBKZi9XMmU0ah7exhaHWDu6U9iG7...
- http://fibonacciwebstudio.com/ is now part of the supporters page http://d8rules.org/supporters
- Lots of activity in the issue queue recently https://www.drupal.org/project/issues/rules Thanks to all the contributors including Mar.deokar, nerdcore, docans, jonathan1055, TR, max-kuzomko !
- We cleaned up all critical issues in the Rules queue, yay https://www.drupal.org/project/issues/rules?priorities=400&version=8.x&t...
- The next #d8rules initiative meeting takes place Thursday 30th of November, 14:30 UTC = 15:30 CET
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

dasjo’s picture

Posted a more in-depth status update on the d8rules blog:
http://d8rules.org/news/d8rules-status-update

dasjo’s picture

Reminder: the next #d8rules initiative meeting takes place tomorrow - Thursday 30th of November, 14:30 UTC = 15:30 CET

https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone,

here's the summary of today's #d8rules meeting between fago, max, ted and me

- our blog post as an initiative update has been published
http://d8rules.org/news/d8rules-status-update
- dasjo also joined the lullabot podcast about funding contribution, will be published soon
- jonathan mentioned that he had some issues in RTBC, fago already checked them, jonathan also mentioned he would be back in january for more contribution, thanks for that :)

issues discussed
- #2664280: Select lists in action & condition configuration forms could go two ways (either solve in typed data or via core), we decided that fago will check the core approach
- #2540032: Port "Flag is flagged" Rules event to 8.x is making progress, highlighted that rules needs some work to not use legacy code from core anymore
- #2871403: Add a textarea input widget max has been making progress on this one
- there are some issues for drupal 7 in RTBC that fago will check them
- if people wanna help, please go through the issue queue and try to pick up other work. in case you get stuck, feel free to ping us in the #d8rules slack channel
- #2927132: List of conditions includes Core conditions which do not work with Rules was mentioned to keep an eye on so we make sure core conditions can be used within rules

thanks again everyone for your contributions!

the next initiative meeting is taking place Thursday 14th of december 14:30 UTC = 15:30 CET

best dasjo/ josef

TR’s picture

Any chance of having the next meeting later in the day? I'm at UTC-8, so that's 06:30 in the morning where I live. Way too early for me. Although if you all are morning people and want to reschedule for 0630 UTC that's fine by me.

dasjo’s picture

hi TR, i will try to see if fago is available two hours later the same day and let you know

dasjo’s picture

Confirmed: this Thursday Rules initiative meeting takes place 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC

TR’s picture

Awesome, thanks! See you then.

dasjo’s picture

Reminder: the next #d8rules initiative meeting takes place in 3 hours:, 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=%23d8rules+ini...

We'll meet at the usual hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone,

here's the summary from today's iniatitive call

we had a lot of people on the call, yay :)

https://www.drupal.org/u/max-kuzomko
https://www.drupal.org/u/dasjo
https://www.drupal.org/u/fago
https://www.drupal.org/u/grshane
https://www.drupal.org/u/shaal
https://www.drupal.org/u/tr

briefly mentioned https://www.drupal.org/project/transformers

updates from https://www.drupal.org/u/tr
- ubercart maintainer
- started porting ubercart rules, not ready for patch yet
- but everything seems to be working well for what UC needs
- planning to get it out soon
- also started working on UI improvements
- patches in
- blocker is the UI

discussion of #2664280: Select lists in action & condition configuration forms -> we don't want to be blocked by core but be ready to align with core

updates from fago
- really hard to find time at the moment
- early january will be able to work on stuff but can check code & provide reviews

which patches does fago need?
- generally its best to contribute via github, prefers to use pull requests but patches are also ok
- thinking if code style checks can be done on d.o as well
- UI patches are always welcome
- new features its good to have test coverage too
- working on beta blockers always helps: https://www.drupal.org/project/issues/search/rules?project_issue_followe...

discussed max' issue: #2471481: Integrate Typed Data Widgets

david:
- we discussed there are not many low hanging fruits left
- thinking about new low hanging fruits
- a good option would be #2922757: Replace deprecated RouteEnhancerInterface (find out where deprecation errors are coming from, try fix the issues, create smaller issues if that help)

what else
- are we ready to porting integrations? its well possible and will get you very far
- documentation & UI could be improved

- 27th of january there's a sprint in ukraine where max would be up to sprint on d8rules with others https://www.facebook.com/events/2042723019332714/

we take a break during holidays and meet again for our initiative meetings every 2nd Thursday starting
- Thursday January 11, 2018 16:30 UTC

dasjo’s picture

Hi everyone, happy 2018!

This week the #d8rules initiative meeting takes place again:
Thursday January 11, 2018 16:30 UTC

We'll meet at the usual hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

Graber’s picture

Hi all, nice to know there are such meetings, I will not be able to attend this one but on the next one it'll be good to raise the subject of Rules-VBO compatibility for executing action sets so I'll be there if nothing unexpected happens. VBO issue: #2931170: Allow executing "action set" Rules components.

HNY :)

dasjo’s picture

hi everyone,

here's some updates from today's #d8rules initiative meeting

TR has been working on porting ubercart integrations:
#2644882: [meta] Port Rules integration to D8

Currently on the Rule Edit Page, we don't see parameter configurations of Actions, Conditions, Events. TR was working on porting that feature from D7 but he was struggling with how to get the context values. that would be great to resolve in our next meeting

we also discussed how TR has worked on various UI patches for rules. one of them allows to configure a country and is based on the patch we have here #2664280: Select lists in action & condition configuration forms

TR mentioned he would be working on some more UI patches until next week

fago wasn't able to join this week but we confirmed that we want to do the initiative meeting already again next week together with him

The next #d8rules initiative meeting takes place:
Thursday January 18, 2018 17:30 UTC

Best Josef / dasjo

dasjo’s picture

Today's #d8rules initiative meeting takes place:
Thursday January 18, 2018 17:30 UTC

We'll meet at the usual hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

notes from today's meeting

fago could use some help keeping the issue queue tidy: identify duplicate issues, triage. you can follow the steps in core
https://www.drupal.org/contributor-tasks/triage

fago reviewed various issues.

dasjo updated the sponsor info for fibonacci web studio, thanks again!
http://d8rules.org/content/fibonacci-web-studio

#2916331: Passing variables from rules to components and back would be great to get some help

pmelab mentioned rules as a good way to achieve graphql mutations
https://www.amazeelabs.com/en/blog/dont-push-it-using-graphql-twig

the next meeting takes place already next thursday, 25th of january 18:30 UTC

dasjo’s picture

Today's #d8rules initiative meeting takes place:
Thursday January 25, 2018 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC
(sorry there was an error abot the exact timing in the previous post)

We'll meet at the usual hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

Sorry for the short notice, we need to cancel today's meeting.

We will meet again already next week:
Thursday February 1, 2018 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC

dasjo’s picture

Today's #d8rules initiative meeting takes place 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC

We'll meet at the usual hangout:
https://hangouts.google.com/call/IGwOEVNr3rn5BjKwRkpBAAEI

dasjo’s picture

Notes from today's meeting:
Adrian Rollett, fago, max & dasjo

Adrian is new to the call, interested in writing a date range widget implementation

This can be based on #2471481: Integrate Typed Data Widgets which max has been making progress on. fago will provide a review shortly

The next meeting takes place
Thursday February 8, 2018 17:30 CET = 16:30 UTC

dasjo’s picture

--- sorry correction, we need to cancel today's initiative meeting and will be on back again next week