Last updated July 20, 2011.
This option is open to everyone and requires no programming skills! More detailed information about how to properly submit issues is available from HOWTO: Make A GOOD issue report, but here's a synopsis.
- Use Drupal until you find a bug. ;)
- Search for existing bugs to make sure yours hasn't been reported yet.
- If it hasn't, report a bug. Some tips on bug reporting:
- Be specific! "Forums are broken" is a horrible example of a bug report!
- Begin by stating the problem clearly and concisely. For example, "I'm getting a page that just says, 'Array()' when trying to add a forum."
- Provide as many details as possible. More details help developers to more easily track down the problem. For example, what version of Drupal are you running? What version of PHP are you running? If the error came about as a result of some code you wrote, paste the code snippet.
- Describe what actions you performed to see the bug. For example, "I enabled the forum module, and then went to administer >> content management >> forums and attempted to create a new forum."
- Describe what you expected to have happen, and what happened instead. For example, "Normally, clicking "add forum" would've taken me to a form where I could type in the settings, but instead I just got 'Array()'"
- Follow up on the bug. People might have further questions when they go in to try and fix it, so make sure to check back frequently to see if you can provide any further information. You can keep track of issues you've created and responded to from my issues.
- If the bug has already been reported, then you have a few options:
- Submit further details. If the bug report and subsequent comments are lacking details that might help a developer track down the cause, post some additional details from your setup.
- Confirm presence of old bugs. If the bug report is more than a few weeks old, respond to confirm that you are also seeing the bug. This helps inform people that it still needs looking into.
- If there's a patch, test it. See below for further details.