This module solves the problems with images and responsive themes, it allows you to define multiple image style suffixes and their corresponding maximum width.
The future (Drupal 8)
See picture 7.x-2.x: Since picture is now part of Drupal 8, we have backported that code to Drupal 7,
- Before upgrading Drupal 7.20, please read the release notes, since this will break this module. To fix it you need to add
$conf['image_allow_insecure_derivatives'] = TRUE;to your settings.php file. There's an issue trying to solve this , but upgrading to the picture module will solve this as well.
- Selecting _default as suffix might break your theme, safer is to always use __ (2 underscores) like __default.
- Be care full if you use the force reload on resize option, it will generate more request to your server and might have a negative impact on your performance.
- Full support for image fields
- Full support for colorbox
- Partial support for field_slideshow
- Doesn't need any changes to .htaccess / nginx
- Supports page caching per size
- Can do an automatic reload if the cookie isn't set
- Can do an automatic reload if the window size is changed
- Supports expire module, so the cache gets cleared for all defined suffixes
- Supports the Context Module
- Supports the Media Module
- Supports images within blocks (can be disabled on the settings page)
- Supports images within entity textfields (must be enabled in the settings of the field)
- Clone image styles for all defined suffixes
- Support Retina displays
Responsive images and the Media module
There are a few steps that need to be taken before this module plays nice with the Media module:
- Enable Responsive images and styles and the Media module
- Add some suffixes for responsive images (see 'Tutorials' further down)
- Create image styles according to these suffixes(see 'Tutorials' further down)
- Go to /admin/config/media/file-types/manage/image/file-display/media_responsive
- Check the checkbox next to 'Image'
- Select the image style with the default suffix as image style
- Save the settings
- Go to where you can manage the fields of your entity type (for node -> Basic Page that would be admin/structure/types/manage/page/fields)
- Click 'edit' next to the field where you want to insert responsive images (e.g. 'Body')
- At the bottom, check the checkbox 'Apply responsive images and styles to this field'
- Now, when you add a file to a field with the Media plugin for WYSIWYG, choose 'Responsive' as your format.
- Your images should resize as expected now.
Dependencies (7.x-2.x version only)
- If you enable 'Force resize' the module tries to resize everything, this works for plain images, but not for field_slideshow and some other jQuery slideshow like plugins.
- If you use barracuda/octopus (http://drupal.org/project/barracuda) you have to change the cache key, add $cookie_respimg to the fastcgi_cache_key directive inside nginx_advanced_include.conf
Look up the break points in your theme to see what values you have to use, this is just an example.
Install a responsive theme like omega and create the following image styles at /admin/config/media/image-styles
- thumbnail__mobile: width 100px;
- thumbnail__narrow: width 150px;
- thumbnail__normal: width 220px;
- thumbnail__wide: width 300px;
goto admin/config/media/resp_img and add the following
- add a suffix: __narrow - 500
- add a suffix: __normal - 720
- add a suffix: __wide - 900
goto admin/config/media/resp_img/settings and enter __mobile for the default suffix
- works as a field formatter
- only supports 2 sizes
- works with screen size, not window size
- needs .htaccess rules
- works as a field formatter
- works only on media field
- set as maximum width
- uses css for the smaller variants
Upgrade from 1.x to 2.x
There now is an upgrade path from 1.x to 2.x.
To upgrade, follow these steps:
- Disable Responsible images and styles (do not uninstall) (you need to do this because we don't use the custom cache class in 2.x anymore. Related: )
- Download Breakpoints, CTools and Field formatter settings.
- Enable Responsible images and styles again (along with its requirements Breakpoints, CTools and Field formatter settings).
- Go to /update.php and follow the steps.
- And you're done!
- Image field support
- Colorbox support (only the rendered image, links to same destination).
- Maintenance status: Minimally maintained
- Development status: No further development
- Module categories: Content, Media
- Reported installs: 4,171 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 79,314
- Last modified: 2 December 2014
- Stable releases for this project are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.