Due to changes made inthe previous action link for creating custom blocks was moved. This however made creating custom blocks non-obvious and the workflow for creating one somewhat convoluted.
The current workflow and UI state (courtesy of larowlan in #233):
- Visit block layout
- Click place block next to a region (modal)
- Click add custom block action link (modal)
- Redirect to block/add (non modal)
- Add custom block content entity (non modal)
- Redirect to place block form (non modal)
- Save block placement
- Redirect to block layout, new block highlighted
Note: The buttons on the current page were renamed to "Place block" solely because of the current action button (see #214), so it could also be changed back to "Add block" if it were to be removed.
Place the management of custom block content under
/admin/content to achieve the following workflow which effectively cuts the number of required steps in half and makes more sense from a content manager's perspective.
- Visit Custom blocks (currently Custom block library)
- Click add custom block action link
- Save block
- Redirect to Custom blocks
Place the management of custom block types under
/admin/structure to achieve the following workflow which reduces the number of required steps by two and makes more sense from a site-builder's perspective.
- Visit Block types
- Click add custom block type action link
- Save block type
- Redirect to Block types
User interface changes
Relocation of two block_content related sections.
Data model changes
Beta phase evaluation
|Issue category||Task: Affects usability; not a bug.|
|Issue priority||Major: Significant regression in user experience (may be critical at core maintainers' discretion). Very high probability that user's will not find module functionality.|
|Prioritized changes||Yes: Usability and UX improvement. Follow-up to recent critical.|
|Disruption||Undetermined, but likely minimal. Unlikely to require changes in contributed modules. No widespread changes. No subsystem changes. No data alteration.|