The Metatag module allows you to automatically provide structured metadata, aka "meta tags", about a website. In the context of search engine optimization, when people refer to meta tags they are usually referring to the meta description tag and the meta keywords tag that may help improve the rankings and display of a site in search engine results. In addition, the module provides support for meta tags (Open Graph Protocol from Facebook, Twitter Cards from Twitter) that allow control of how content appears when shared on social networks.
This project is the offical Drupal 7 and D8 successor of the Nodewords module. As of v7.x-1.5 a submodule (Metatag:Importer) is provided to convert data from Nodewords.
A port to Drupal 8 is underway, keep track of #2052441 to follow development.
D7 - Dependencies
D7 - Features
- Supports a large number of commonly used meta tags, including the page title, canonical URL, description, etc, and for Facebook's Open Graph, Twitter Cards and Dublin Core via included submodules (see full list).
- Global settings to control meta tags on all pages.
- Per entity and per entity bundle to control default meta tags for all items of a certain type, e.g. all nodes of a certain content type.
- Ability to override meta tags on each entity object, e.g. to override meta tags on an individual node.
- Multi-lingual support using the Entity Translation module and translation support using the Internationalization (i18n) module.
- Full support for entity revisions and workflows based upon revision editing, including compatibility with the Revisioning and Workbench Moderation modules.
- Customize meta tags for specific paths (or other conditions) using Context and included Metatag:Context submodule.
- Customize meta tags for custom pages built using Panels and Views using included submodules.
- Individual permissions for each meta tag can be enabled (see README.txt).
- Meta tags can be added to admin pages.
- Exportable default meta tag configuration.
- Extendable and flexible API (define your own meta tags).
- Support for Devel Generate (sub-module).
Notes / Known Issues
- The module was renamed from "metatags" to "metatag" in late 2011, sites that have the original version installed will need to have the old version disabled before the new version can be installed.
Alternatives and similar modules
- Meta tags quick - Uses the Field API to store its meta tag data. Metatag, however, does not use the Field API for reasons of flexibility and usability.
- Page title - Functionality has been merged into Metatag, but will continue to exist.
- Open Graph meta tags - Functionality has beeen merged into Metatag, but will continue to exist.
- Refresh - Functionality will be merged into Metatag, but may continue to exist.