The Akamai modules provides integration with the Akamai Content Control Utility (CCU) Web Service. This enables the purging of cached URLs in the Akamai Global Network in response to different site events. It purges not only the canonical URL for your page/node (node/123) but also any associated URL aliases.
The various mechanisms to clear Akamai cache are:
- Through an admin screen, allowing the specification of any number of URLs to clear manually.
- Through a block that can be put on your site to allow any specific page you are viewing to be cleared from the Akamai cache with a button click.
- 7.x versions automatically respond to node updates and pushes cache clears for the node and any aliases.
- 8.x-3.x integrates with Purge module to do intelligent purging based on Drupal 8's internal cache invalidation logic.
7.x-2.x also integrates with Context HTTP Headers to allow the specification of Akamai specific HTTP Response Headers to be set on any site page in reaction to a Context condition.
Important Information about REST, SOAP, and the roadmap for this module
As of June 1, 2014, Akamai has turned off the SOAP API for CCU. in pace with that change, the 1.x branches of this module have been deprecated. The 2.x and 8.x-3.x branches of this module support the new CCU REST API.
The 7.x-3.x branch has early support for Akamai Fast Purge Beta which supports global purge in under 5 seconds.
On the D6 branch status
The D6 branch (according to the usage chart) comprises only about 3% of installs of this module and has seen no significant activity from the community in the issue queue. Personally, my focus is on the D7 and coming D8 branches. If someone is willing to champion the D6 version, I'm happy to take on a co-maintainer. Otherwise, expect the D6 branch to remain as it is.
The development of this module was done as part of the Whitehouse.gov project and was sponsored by The Executive Office of the President.
Join us on #drupal-akamai in irc.freenode.net.
- Maintenance status: Seeking co-maintainer(s)
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Performance and Scalability, Third-party Integration, Utility
- Reported installs: 525 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 19,889
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: April 21, 2016
- Stable releases receive coverage from the Drupal Security Team.
Look for the shield icon below.