The purge module clears content from reverse proxy caches like Varnish, Squid or Nginx by issuing an http PURGE request to them. This allows delivering content updates faster to end users while maintaining efficient caching.
Stable: Purge 1.x for Pressflow 6 and Drupal 7
The current stable 1.x branches work in conjunction with the Cache Expiration module to act on events that are likely to expire URLs from the proxy cache. It will not longer receive new features, just bugfixes.
- One or more reverse proxy caches like Varnish (recommended), Squid or Nginx that point to your webserver(s).
- Varnish needs a modification to its configuration file. See this section in the Varnish chapter of the Drupal handbook
- Squid needs to have purging enabled in its configuration.
- Nginx needs an extra module and configuration. See the installation hints below and the included the README.txt
Also see this issue for more background info and compiling/installation hints
- A cachable version for Drupal 6. This can be an official Drupal 6 release with a patch applied or use Pressflow, a cachable friendly fork of Drupal. Drupal 7 works out of the box.
- PHP with curl enabled. The 1.x releases of Purge uses curl for issuing the http PURGE requests.
- Unpack, place and enable just like any other module.
- Navigate to Administration -> Site configuration -> Purge settings
- Set your proxy URL(s) like
- If you are using nginx you need to specify the purge path and the get method in
your proxy setting like this:
- If you are using the Acquia Cloud we recommend you use the platform specific module Acquia Purge instead.
- Optional: Install Rules for advanced cache clearing scenarios or Drush for command line purging. Both are supported through the expire module.
Experimental: Purge 2.x for Drupal 7
The 7.x-2.x branch has been the place where new features and strategies for Purge have been experimented on. It's not likely to have a stable release soon and possibly never at all in favor of a backport of the 8.x-3.x branch. Some of the new 2.x features we've been tinkering with:
Not suitable for production use! See for more details.
Drupal 8: Purge 3.x
Work on a Drupal 8.0.x version of Purge is ongoing. More details soon.