Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
First and foremost, I love drupal and its community.
Here's a brief description of who I am, where I am going, and what I am looking for from you folks.
- A few years ago I came up with an idea for a business.
- No experience with web development. I started with dreamweaver, got into php, watched videos from lynda.com, and then discovered the all mighty Drupal.
- Eventually got "stuck" with a few modules and customization. I tried educating myself and then decided it took too much time and I knew enough to describe what I wanted and hired some guys from India and the Phillipines. Huge language barrier. So I went to US developers, most of them were out of my budget and those that are cheap were a scam. I lost over $4000 so far...
- I recently decided to take this into my own hands, no matter how much time it takes, to learn drupal and php so that I can do this on my own.
Here are my specific issues with development.
- amazon module and amazon store module. I know rfay did a LOT of work for it and it is not currently maintained... I have having trouble adding the extra amazon panel panes to the item detail page. I want to be able to figure this out. - where to look, what to change, etc... I would also like to extend the modules to offer more information by working with the amazon API. For example, Associate o matic (http://www.associate-o-matic.com/) does EVERYTHING that amazon has to offer - related products, best sellers, sub categories, recommended products, etc. Here is one of my sites that use AOM ( http://theubersource.com/shop.php ) Only problem with AOM is that they use ioncube to hide all of their code so I cant take its code and apply it to drupal and it is very difficult to use AOM's block system to implement features from drupal. So... I know the features AOM offers are available for drupal, its just a matter of finding out how and do the work.
- Working with youtube API. I had a dev from india create a custom module for a D6 site of mine. but now I am trying to get a D7 site going and transfer the custom module.
- Converting a wordpress plugin to drupal 7.
Here's what I am looking for from you folks.
- I would like recommendations on what and where to learn drupal.
- I watched several videos and became frustrated when many of them cover the basics of drupal. I know how to start a drupal site, moderate users, change themes, install modules, etc... I bought Lullabot's complete video package for drupal 6. Those videos take a long time to go through and again were not satisfying.
- I have searched for drupal virtual training like Acquia and others that I found in Drupals training section. However most of them are for groups of people or on-site training.
So, do I go back and read the book on php? is there another book you would recommend? Do I hire a mentor? is there an online virtual training class I can attend?
Your advice is much appreciated!