This module allows you to create arbitrary Workflows, and assign them to Entities.
Workflows are made up of workflow states. Transitions between states can be allowed per role. For example, a workflow with the states Draft, Review, and Published could be assigned to the Story node type. Only users with role 'chief editor' can set Stories to the published state.
You can set up the Workflow to alter states from form, page, comment and a special workflow tab.
Transitions between workflow states can have actions assigned to them. In our example, we could assign an action so that when the story moves from the Draft state to the Review state an email is sent out. Another action could be assigned to the transition from Review to Published so that the node's status is set to Published (and becomes visible on your website).
If you are interested in the future of the workflow module, please join the workflow group on groups.drupal.org.
You can find more info at the Workflow documentation page. If you have learned anything while implementing this module, please update that documentation.
Developer notes: If you are upgrading your module to support Workflow please review the available functions and check the change records
Also check the file workflow.api.php for explanation of each hook.
Drupal 8 version:
A new and shiny Drupal 8 version is available. It is tested against Drupal 8, version RC1.
The functionality is mostly identical with version 7.x-2.5.
Some permissions have been moved to the 'normal' permissions page.
There is still lots to do, and any help is much appreciated. See the list of open tasks.
Developer note: Hooks and function names may have been renamed, to be aligned with D8 practices. Please review your add-on modules or custom code carefully.
As long as no stable release is available, you might need to re-install the module after a code update.
New in 7.x-2.x
- Introduction of Workflow Field. Now you can add a Workflow to terms, users or other entity types as you do with other Field types, and enjoy the features the Field API provides, such as revisioning, multilingual, etc. Enable the 'Workflow Field' submodule, and leave the 'Workflow Node' submodule disabled. You still use 'Workflow Node' if you come from version 7.x-1.2 or 6.x.
- You can have multiple workflows on an Entity type.
- You can select States using radiobuttons, select list or action buttons. The available options can have the traditional State labels, but now you can also use Transition labels!
- To change the State from a comment, add the same field to the Node and the Comment.
- When 'Entity tokens' module is enabled, lots of tokens are provided.
Run Update.php after downloading a new version.
New in 7.x-1.2
If you are upgrading from an older version to 7.x-1.2 or 7.x-2.5, see the release notes for new features: https://www.drupal.org/node/2035233
- Workflow Extensions compatible with version 7.x-1.x. Its functionality is incorporated in version 7.x-2.x. Disable when upgrading from 1.x to 2.x.
- Workflow Fields now compatible with Workflow 7.x-1.2. There is an open issue for compatibility with 7.x-2.x
- Workflow Named Transitions compatible with version 7.x-1.x. Its functionality is incorporated in version 7.x-2.x. Disable when upgrading from 1.x to 2.x.
- OG Workflow