Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Smiley is a text filter that substitutes text emoticons, like
:-) with images.
It comes with a set of example smileys, but you can import ready-to-use packages (e.g.: from phpBB's "pak"s and Adium Emoticon packs) or define your own.
To use your own smileys, simply upload them into
sites/default/files/smiley) and import them using the "Smiley Import" module.
This project also includes a Smiley WYSIWYG sub-module that integrates with the WYSIWYG module to let you insert smileys in your WYSIWYG editor.
- Add smileys to any text input type
- Customize the smiley acronyms
- Import smileys
- Insert smileys using a smiley button for your WYSIWYG editor.
- You can use the WYSIWYG module with this project's Smiley WYSIWYG sub-module.
1.x branch is the current stable branch.
We are looking to add automated tests to the module, make it possible to add your own smileys, and port the module to Drupal 8.
We don't know of any problems at this time, so if you find one, please let us know by adding an issue!
- Steven Wittens wrote original module, and maintained it until Drupal 4.7.
- Gurpartap Singh maintained the module until Drupal 6.
See the bottom of this page for a list of organizations who have supported this project.
The current co-maintainers are not currently accepting donations.
However, if you are willing to pay this module's co-maintainers to work on a bug that affects your project, or add a feature you require, please contact the co-maintainers directly using the contact form on their respective Drupal.org user account pages.
Maintaining a project can be a lot of work, and the current co-maintainers of this project have full-time jobs, are not paid to maintain this module, and maintain a few other projects besides this one.
More co-maintainers to help triage issues, test patches for regressions, and add features would be greatly appreciated and would help us to resolve issues faster! If you are interested in becoming a co-maintainer, please open an issue asking to become one!
Similar projects and how they are different
- The BUEditor module lets you add text-only smileys to rich text fields using the BUEditor. It can be used instead of this project's Smiley WYSIWYG sub-module.
- The Fivestar Smiley module lets you use faces to rate / vote on an entity, but does not allow you to embed smileys in rich text fields.
- The Smiley Slider module provides a "happiness slider" form element, but does not allow you to embed smileys in rich text fields.
- The Smileys module was the basis for this module, but is only available only for Drupal 6. The Drupal Guestbook Smileys module provides integration between Smileys and the Drupal Guestbook module, both also available only for Drupal 6.
If you are aware of any other similar projects, please let us know by adding an issue!
This module does not depend on an external service (e.g. SaaS) to be fully functional.
This module has no artificial restrictions: the version available from Drupal.org has full functionality. No paid version is available.
- Maintenance status: Seeking co-maintainer(s)
- Development status: Maintenance fixes only
- Module categories: Community, Content, Content Display, Filters/Editors, Utility
- Reported installs: 1,645 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 14,847
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: August 1, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.