Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
Updated from #89.
The "Promoted to front page" checkbox is primarily only useful if people are using the river-of-news style front page display. As soon as the default front page is overridden, this label makes no sense, and the label either needs to change, or the checkbox should be removed.
There are a few proposed solutions for this problem. The one with the most consensus (and work done) at this point is solution #1.
1. Change the wording from "Promoted to Front Page" to something else. There is a patch at #27 to change all occurrences of the wording to "Promoted". Another suggestion is to call this "Featured content" (see #63, #65, #76).
This is the approach in the current patch, which changes the text "Promoted to front page" to "Promote".
2. Make the wording configurable per site (possibly also by content type). Likely by making it a configurable field. Or, by changing the title and hiding it when there's no title (field label)
3. Promoted to front page button should only exist if the administrator installs Drupal with the standard (not minimal) install.
5. Make the "promoted to front page" checkbox either automatically hidden in the user interface (or automatically renamed) only when it doesn't apply (#23, #51).
For example, the Node module would do that by default, but the Views module could alter the form and show it as "Promoted to front page" in the case where (a) the front page is using a view, and (b) the view has filters which suggest that the node will actually appear on the front page if the box is checked (e.g., it uses a "promoted" filter). An advantage of this approach is that it should automatically do the "right" thing for a good number of use cases, but a disadvantage is that this won't be foolproof and would involve some ugly/complicated code.
- Fix the patch from #85.
- Determine if there is consensus for pursing another solution.
- Create a follow-up issue for other solutions.
Original report by jenlampton
I would love to see the name of this flag changed. Most Drupal sites out there do not use the default front page, and it would be easier to reuse this flag for another purpose if the label were not so specific.
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [PHP 5.5 MySQL] 113,582 pass(es). View
FAILED: [[SimpleTest]]: [PHP 5.4 MySQL] Unable to apply patch promoted_to_front-987242-124.patch. Unable to apply patch. See the log in the details link for more information. View
|#123||Screen Shot 2014-11-28 at 3.26.31 PM.png||128.32 KB||lauriii|