Give the gift of Drupal. All merchandise is 50% off through 2016.
The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 is the most comprehensive book for building web sites using the powerful and extensible Drupal content management framework.
Written by active community members and contributors (“some of the brightest and most innovative minds in the Drupal community,” to quote Angela Byron, Drupal 7 maintainer), The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7 covers the basics then quickly advances to in-depth exploration of the functionality and tools that make Drupal so powerful for building web applications. Just as important, this book provides the reader with a guide to participating in the Drupal community: an international, committed, rapidly growing community of themers, developers, and open source advocates who write the modules, test the code, and work ceaselessly to make Drupal great. The release of Drupal 7, with its dramatic improvements in usability and system architecture, will take Drupal to a new level of popularity, and this book will help give you the foundation and scaffolding to grow with Drupal.
With The Definitive Guide to Drupal 7, you will be able to:
- Plan and build a complete Drupal site with core alone.
- Extend Drupal's functionality by selecting from thousands of modules.
- Make your Drupal site look like anything you want with theming and jQuery.
- Extend Drupal by coding your own modules.
- Install Drupal in many environments.
- Use essential tools such as Drush and Git to make your life easier.
- Contribute to the Drupal community as an organizer or a coder.
Who this book is for
Anyone who is serious about getting better at Drupal.
Table of Contents
- Building a Drupal 7 Site
- Essential Tools: Drush and Git
- Building Dynamic Pages Using Views
- There's a Module for That
- Creating Community Web Sites with Organic Groups
- Security in Drupal
- Updating Drupal
- Extending Your Site
- Drupal Community: Getting Help and Getting Involved
- Planning and Managing a Drupal Project
- Documenting for End Users and the Production Team
- Development Environment
- Putting a Site Online and Deploying New Features
- Developing from a Human Mindset
- Advanced Theming
- Introduction to Module Development
- Using Drupal's APIs in a Module
- Refining Your Module
- Porting Modules to Drupal 7
- Writing Project-Specific Code
- Introduction to Functional Testing with Simpletest
- Writing a Major Module
- Drupal Commerce
- Scaling Drupal
- Spice Your Content Up with Tasty Semantics
- The Menu System and the Path Into Drupal
- Under the Hood: Inside Drupal When It Displays a Page
- Search and Apache Solr Integration
- User Experience
- Completing a Site: The Other 90%
- Drupal Distributions and Installation Profiles
- Drupal's Story: A Chain of Many Unexpected Events
- Now You're in Business: Making a Living with Drupal
- Maintaining a Project
- Contributing to the Community
- Appendix A: Updating a Drupal Site from 6 to 7
- Appendix B: Profiling Drupal and Optimizing Performance
- Appendix C: Page Rendering and Altering
- Appendix D: Visual Design in Drupal
- Appendix E: Accessibility
- Appendix F: Windows Development Environment
- Appendix G: Installing Drupal on Ubuntu
- Appendix H: Mac OS X Installation
- Appendix I: Setting Up a Drupal Environment with the Acquia Dev Desktop