- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-121
- Project: Shorten URLs (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2012-August-8
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Shorten URLs module provides an API to shorten URLs via many services like bit.ly and TinyURL, as well as a block and a page that provide an interface for easily shortening URLs.
Cross Site Scripting via report
The module doesn't sufficiently sanitize user input when displaying shortened URLs.
This vulnerability is mitigated by several factors:
- The Record Shortened URLs submodule must be installed
- The Views module must not be installed
- An attacker must either have the "use Shorten URLs page" permission or access to the Shorten URLs block
Cross Site Scripting via Custom Services List
There is an additional XSS vulnerability where the module doesn't sufficiently sanitize user input when displaying custom URL shortening services.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the "Shorten URLs Custom Services" submodule must be enabled and the attacker must have the "administer Shorten URLs custom services" permission, which should not be given to non-administrators.
- Shorten URLs 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.13.
- Shorten URLs 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.2.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Shorten URLs module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Shorten URLs module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Shorten URLs 6.x-1.13
- If you use the Shorten URLs module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Shorten URLs 7.x-1.2
Also see the Shorten URLs project page.
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.