Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2011-035
- Project: Forward (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2011-August-17
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Open redirect
The Forward module enables you to add a "forward this page" link to each node. The link takes regular site visitors to a form where they can generate an email to a friend.
The module doesn't check to ensure that the page being forwarded refers to an internal path. This could allow someone to hard code a forward link to an unscrupulous external site.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role that enables them to post content to the site that contains embedded links.
- Forward 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.20.
- Forward 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.1.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Forward module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Forward module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Forward 6.x-1.20
- If you use the Forward module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Forward 7.x-1.1
See also the Forward project page.
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.