The taxonomy_image module allows site administrators to associate images with taxonomy terms. With the association created, an admin can then make a call to 'taxonomy_image_display()' from their theme or other PHP code to display the appropriate image.
The module allows the admin to create a one-to-one term-to-image relationship. With image display recursion, it is also possible to create a many-to-one relationship. This is useful if creating taxonomy hierarchies in which an entire tree of terms will use the same image. With recursion enabled, you only need to associate an image with the tree parent, and all children will automatically inherit the same image.
- Image configuration happens within existing admin/taxonomy menu structure.
- Admins can add custom tags to <img> markup when displaying images.
- Allows one-to-one term-to-image relationships.
- Allows many-to-one term-to-image relationships.
- Admin-permitted users can disable the images.
- Administrators can force images to be a standard size.
- May use the ImageCache module if it is available.
- Works with Views.
- Utilizes core file.inc and taxonomy.module APIs.
- Small module with specific, focused functionality.
- Add-on modules that virtually eliminate the need for theme changes.
There appears to be a problem when this module is used with Taxonomy Hide; it is easily fixed. Util module.Until that fix is made, you can use the
Other modules that are known to utilize Taxonomy Image:
A user has reported that TI works fine with the Content Taxonomy module.
There is a "contributed" folder that is distributed with the module. There are add-on feature modules that may be enabled if you wish. These add-ons keep the base module light-weight, yet provide requested features to those who want them.
- Taxonomy Image Link Alter
- Adds images to the regular taxonomy links for content types that you select.
- Taxonomy Image Node Display
- Automatically include images in the node display for content types that you select and in a position you prefer.
- Taxonomy Image Blocks
- Adds a configurable block to show the taxonomy images associated with the terms used by a node (it will only display on a node page). Multiple instances of this block can be obtained with the Multiblock module.
- Taxonomy Image Attach
- Support re-use of existing image nodes as taxonomy images. [Requires the Image module.] The 6.x version is waiting for issues in the Image module to be worked out.
With the increasing adoption of Drupal 6 and the maturing of D7, we feel the time has come to place our 5.x version into “maintenance only” mode. From now until we release a 7.x version there will be no new development on the 5.x version; we will, however, provide a “best effort” to fix bugs.
The core maintainers claim that this module is not needed in D7. In actuality, it needs an upgrade path and some re-purposing.
Development version status
The development versions (-dev, which rolls up at Noon and Midnight GMT) are where the newest stuff is, including any bug fixes and new features. We try to make sure it is tested before we commit anything, but occasionally a bug will get by us. Your help on testing this code is greatly appreciated. The translation templates may not always be up-to-date in the dev releases.
Current Features being tested in Development:
Update.php required: No, clear cache: No
- Maintenance status: Seeking co-maintainer(s)
- Development status: Maintenance fixes only
- Module categories: Content Display, Taxonomy, Utility
- Reported installs: 5,612 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 79,655
- Last modified: December 2, 2014
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.