Special menu items is a Drupal module that provides placeholder and separator menu items.
A placeholder is a menu item which is not a link. It is useful with dynamic drop down menus where we want to have a parent menu item which is not linking to a page but just acting as a parent grouping some menu items below it.
A separator menu item is something like "-------" which is not linking anywhere but merely a mean to structure menus and "separate" menu items visually.
Menu item container provide similar functionality.
Shane Thomas made a video about special menu item.
- User can create a new menu item and place either "<nolink>" or "<separator>" to the Path field, without quotes.
- "<nolink>" item will be rendered similar to a normal menu link item but there will be no link just the title.
- You can change HTML tag used for menu item
- "<separator>" item will be rendered to an item which is no link and by default title will be "-------".
- Breadcrumb of "<nolink>" will be rendered same as "<nolink>" menu item.
- CSS class "nolink" is added to "nolink" menu item.
- CSS class "separator" is added to "separator" menu item.
Compatibilities with other modules
If you use module than require to output a link, go in /admin/config/system/special_menu_items and use
<a> as the HTML tag. You can even use
<a href="#"> if you need to.
Their is a possibility that "no link" menu item will be in core for D8.1
D6 use "nolink" and "separator" instead of "<nolink>" and "<separator>" (without quotes).
The D6 code is not very clean. I do not have time to works on the D6 version. But I will commit patchs than was review and tested. If someone want to port the D7 way in D6 his more than welcome :).
The maintainer can be contacted for paid customizations of this module as well as Drupal consulting and development.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 104,120 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 257,109
- Last modified: February 1, 2016
- Stable releases receive coverage from the Drupal Security Team.
Look for the shield icon below.