Features Override is used to change (override) existing Features. You may want to use it if:
- You are installing a feature module that requires this module.
- You have a site built on features - e.g., an Open Atrium or Commerce Kickstart site - and you want to make changes without losing them when you upgrade to a new version.
- You are a feature developer looking to selectively override components (Views, content types, etc.) of existing features and export just the changes to code.
Initial 1.x development sponsored by Chocolate Lily. The 7.x-1.x branch was unstable with several reported issues for views (and, likely, panels). That branch has been abandoned with new development occurring in the 7.x-2.x branch (sponsored by Phase2 Technology). Drupal 6 users should continue to use the 6.x-1.x version...no 2.x branch is planned.
NOTE: Overrides exported with version 1.x are NOT COMPATIBLE with overrides exported with version 2.x. If upgrading you should disable the 1.x override, remove the 1.x Features Overrides module, install/enable the Features Overrides 2.x version, then re-export your changes as new overrides.
See the module's README.txt for how to use Features Override. These instructions are for the 7.x-2.x version.
The main use case for Features Override is to build new features on top of existing ones. To do so:
- Install and enable an existing feature. An example might be a View.
- Make changes to your site using the normal Drupal UI. For example, edit a View the change it's title or which fields are displayed.
- At admin/structure/features, notice the original feature is marked "Overridden". Click "Create Feature" to create a new feature.
- Select "Features Overrides" from the Edit components drop-down selector.
- Check the box next to the components you wish to save changes to (such as the View).
- Click Download to download your new "override" feature.
- Install and enable the new "override" feature just as you would with any other feature/module. Notice that nothing is marked as "overridden" anymore.
- Disable your "Override Feature" to remove the changes. Enable it to restore the changes.
- This feature can now be added to sites that have the original feature you overrode.
- Use the new "Review Overrides" tab to view site changes on a line-by-line basis, improved over the older "diff" method that often didn't show enough context about the change.
See also the more detailed instructions in the handbook.
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Features Package, Import/Export
- Reported installs: 15,166 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 266,798
- Last modified: March 4, 2015
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.