AdvAgg allows you to improve the frontend performance of your site. Be sure to do a before and after comparison by using Google's PageSpeed Insights and WebPagetest.org. The performance benefits are achieved by using some of the features found in AdvAgg and its sub modules. Out of the box AdvAgg's frontend performance will be similar to cores.
Features & benefits (7.x)
- Stability - If the Aggregate doesn't exist it will be generated on demand.
- Stability - Stampede file protection. Uses locking so multiple requests for the same thing will result in only one thread doing the work.
- Backend - Render Cache; cache the generated HTML.
- Backend - Zero file I/O if the Aggregated file already exists. Big improvement if using a networked filesystems (NFS, S3, etc).
- Frontend - Combine CSS files by using media queries; better CSS groupings.
- Frontend - DNS Prefetch. Start DNS lookup for external domains as soon as possible.
- Frontend - Workaround IE 6-9 CSS limitation by preventing more than 4095 selectors in a CSS file.
- Frontend - Gzip support. Compress files into a .gz file and serve from Apache. This is faster then gzipping the file on each request.
- DX - Browser conditional comments for CSS and JS.
- DX - All attributes are supported.
- DX - D8 Features backported when feasible.
- DX - Add JS to any region of the theme.
- DX - Admin can drop a cookie that will turn off file aggregation (theme development).
- DX - Url query string to turn off aggregation for that request.
?advagg=0will turn off file aggregation if the user has the "bypass advanced aggregation" permission.
?advagg=-1will completely bypass all of Advanced CSS/JS Aggregations modules and submodules.
- Frontend - Async Font Loader. Text is readable before the webfont has been downloaded; usable site quicker.
- Frontend - Bundler Submodule. Given a target number of CSS/JS aggregates, this will try very hard to meet that goal. It smartly groups files together.
- Frontend - CSS/JS Compress Submodules. Can minifiy files & inline CSS/JS. Can also turn off core CSS compression for theme development.
- DX - CSS/JS Validator Submodule. Validate all CSS files using jigsaw.w3.org. Check all CSS files with CSSLint. Check all JS files with JSHint
3rd Party Modules
Similar Modules (7.x)
List of modules in D7 that might provide similar functionality.
http://drupal.org/sandbox/JaceRider/1728316 (Aggregated SASS via Compass)
http://drupal.org/sandbox/alanmackenzie/2135127 (Role CSS & JS Aggregation)
This is the holy grail of CSS & JS aggregation and optimization. If you want your website to load faster, install this module. If you think flushing your CSS/JS directory on certain submit forms is a dumb idea, you should install this module. If you like the idea of using Google's CDN for jquery.js, install this module. It also aggregates JS in the footer. JS minification/CSS compression ... you guessed it install this module. Gzip CSS/JS files, yep it does that too! Using a private file system? Use this module and bring back aggregation for improved performance! Wish you could use the same aggregate on different pages, guess what? Install the bundler submodule and watch in awe of how fast your site loads.
See the readme.txt file for more details.
This is fully compatible with the following modules:
Parallel CSS - AdvAgg Plugin
If the user has the permission of "bypass advanced aggregation" then adding
?advagg=0 to the end of the URL will turn off aggregation for that request (very useful for debugging CSS/JS issues on a live site). CSS files are located in the
files/advagg_css dir. JS files are located in the
These are the modules I borrowed from in order to make this happen.
IE Unlimited CSS Loader
Reason why this is an all in one module is because of the 404 handling; yes that is correct, getting a 404 for a CSS or JS file is now almost impossible. This is good news for Varnish, Purge and Boost users.
Known Issues (6.x)
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Reported installs: 9,149 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 255,587
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: September 4, 2015