- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2010-078
- Project: Kaltura (third-party module)
- Versions: 5.x, 6.x
- Date: 2010-July-28
- Security risk: Less Critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Information disclosure
The Kaltura module integrates the Kaltura open source video platform with Drupal. When installing, uninstalling, or configuring the module, it would surreptitiously inject a hidden iframe into the messages displayed to the administrator with the source pointing to corp.kaltura.com/stats/drupal. These requests were made without prior knowledge or authorization of site administrators. The iframe also included information such as the site's Kaltura partner ID, registration ID, or registration error code. Because most browsers also include the referring site when dispalying an iframe, information such as the URL or IP address of the Drupal site could also have been obtained.
Responsible Collection of Usage Statistics for Drupal Modules
The popularity of modules hosted on drupal.org is already tracked based on data in the request when a Drupal installation checks to see if any of its modules have new releases (see the Kaltura usage page for example). This information is gathered with privacy in mind: an open discussion occurred before including private information in the requests; the data is not shared outside of Drupal.org server administrators (approximately 10 people); site administrators are alerted to this system during installation of their site and they can opt in or out at any time.
- Kaltura module for Drupal 6.x prior to 6.x-1.5, and all 6.x-2.x versions
- Kaltura module for Drupal 5.x prior to 5.x-1.4
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the Kaltura module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use Kaltura module for Drupal 5.x upgrade to Kaltura 5.x-1.4
- If you use Kaltura module for Drupal 6.x upgrade to Kaltura 6.x-1.5
- If you use Kaltura module for Drupal version 6.x-2.0 or 6.x-2.x-dev, downgrade to Kaltura 6.x-1.5
Also see the Kaltura project page.
- Chris Burgess, the new module maintainer