- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2015-131
- Project: Views Bulk Operations (VBO) (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2015-July-01
- Security risk: 10/25 ( Moderately Critical) AC:Basic/A:Admin/CI:None/II:All/E:Theoretical/TD:Uncommon
- Vulnerability: Access bypass
The Views Bulk Operations module enables you to add bulk operations to administration views, executing actions on multiple selected rows.
The module doesn't sufficiently guard user entities against unauthorized modification. If a user has access to a user account listing view with VBO enabled (such as admin/people when the administration_views module is used), they will be able to edit their own account and give themselves a higher role (such as "administrator") even if they don't have the "'administer users'" permission.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have access to such a user listing page and that the bulk operation for changing Roles is enabled.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Views Bulk Operations 7.x-3.x versions prior to 7.x-3.3.
- Views Bulk Operations 6.x-1.x versions.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Views Bulk Operations (VBO) module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Views Bulk Operations module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Views Bulk Operations 7.x-3.3
- If you use the Views Bulk Operations module for Drupal 6.x, uninstall the module.
Also see the Views Bulk Operations (VBO) project page.
- Klaus Purer of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at https://www.drupal.org/contact.
Follow the Drupal Security Team on Twitter at https://twitter.com/drupalsecurity