Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2013-051
- Project: Services (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 7.x
- Date: 2013-June-05
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Request Forgery
This module enables you to expose an API to third party systems using REST, XML-RPC or other protocols.
The module doesn't sufficiently verify writing requests (POST, PUT, DELETE) with session cookie authentication, thereby exposing a Cross Site Request Forgery vulnerability.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that session based authentication must be enabled for an endpoint.
CVE identifier(s) issued
- Services 6.x-3.x versions.
- Services 7.x-3.x versions prior to 7.x-3.4.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Services module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version or uninstall the module.
- If you use the Services module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to Services 7.x-3.4
- If you use the Services module for Drupal 6.x, uninstall the module.
Note that Services clients using session authentication now should supply a special X-CSRF-Token header with a token that can be retrieved from http://example.com/services/session/token. This is needed for writing HTTP methods calls (POST, PUT, DELETE).
Also see the Services project page.
- Yuriy Gerasimov the module maintainer
- Klaus Purer of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.