Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-092
- Project: Organic groups (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-June-06
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting, Access bypass
The Organic Groups module enables users to create and manage their own 'groups'. Each group can have subscribers, and maintains a group home page where subscribers communicate amongst themselves.
Cross Site Scripting
The module doesn't sufficiently filter user supplied text when used in connection with the Vertical Tabs module.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role with the permission to create or edit a group title and the site must have the contributed Vertical Tabs module installed and the Vertical Tabs configuration must include the Organic Group select area (this is the default configuration when Vertical Tabs is enabled).
The module's default views do not sufficiently check the Drupal core permission to access content.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that a site must have removed the "access content" permission to all users. This is not a common configuration.
- Organic groups 6.x-2.x versions prior to 6.x-2.4.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Organic groups module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Organic groups module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Organic Groups 6.x-2.4
Also see the Organic groups project page.
- Ezra Barnett Gildesgame identified the Cross Site Scripting issue
- Fox identified the Access Bypass issue
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.