Installation profiles combine core Drupal, contributed modules, themes, and pre-defined configuration into one download. Installation profiles provide specific site features and functions for a specific purpose or type of site. They make it possible to quickly set up a complex, use-specific site in fewer steps than if installing and configuring elements individually.
For example, an installation profile for conferences might automatically install and configure modules for advanced user registration, attendee profiles, ticketing, and a list of speakers and sessions. Once installed, installation profiles can be configured and customized the same as traditionally-built Drupal sites.
If there is an installation profile that fits your needs, they can be a great starting point. If not, consider creating one and contributing it to the Drupal community.
Visit the contributed installation profile section to review and download an install profile.
More complex install profiles are sometimes also known as Drupal distributions or "distros" and are sometimes hosted off of Drupal.org but can now also be hosted on Drupal.org.
Some examples of distributions include:
- Commerce Kickstart (an e-commerce distribution for merchants)
- OpenAtrium (an intranet distribution)
- Drupal Commons (a distribution for building communities and intranets)
- OpenPublish (a distribution for online publishers)
- Pressflow (a distribution with performance and scalability improvements)