Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-080
- Project: Hostmaster (Aegir) (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-May-16
- Security risk: Less critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Multiple vulnerabilities
Cross Site Scripting
Hostmaster displays a log from tasks executed in Aegir's backend component, provision. In certain circumstances these log messages were not escaped properly before being displayed to the user. This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that people wishing to exploit this must have access to the PHP code of either provision itself or one of the sites hosted by Aegir.
Hostmaster doesn't allow people to edit or create certain node types that are used for the internal representation of data. The implementation of this wasn't fully complete and would still allow privileged users to edit these nodes. This can cause some data corruption in the front-end, leading to tasks that would appear to never finish running. This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that people wishing to exploit this must have the 'edit package' or 'administer nodes' permissions, which are not given to any roles by the default Aegir install.
- Hostmaster 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.9.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Hostmaster (Aegir) module, there is nothing you need to do.
Follow the upgrade instructions in the release notes for the Aegir 1.9 release which can be found at: http://community.aegirproject.org/1.9
Also see the Hostmaster (Aegir) project page.
- The Cross Site Scripting vulnerability was reported by Steven Jones one of the module maintainers.
- The Access Bypass vulnerability was reported by Ivo Van Geertruyen of the Drupal Security Team.
- The Cross Site Scripting vulnerability was fixed by Steven Jones one of the module maintainers.
- The Access Bypass vulnerability was fixed by Ivo Van Geertruyen of the Drupal Security Team and mig5 one of the module maintainers.
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.