I can't figure this one out. Any help would be *greatly* appreciated on the following matter:
1) I created an Event CCK that has events fields (start and end times via event module) enabled on it + a EVENT_NOTES field
2) I created a Venue CCK that has location fields (state, city, street address, zip via location module) enabled on it + a VENUE_NAME field + a _SITE_URL field
3) the Event CCK has a node reference field set to the Venue CCK VENUE_NAME field
No less than 4 content tables are related via a single nid and vid to represent a single Event CCK.
Now i create some content:
I create/add my VENUE CCKs separately (type in the venue name, website, location (city, state, address) information)
Then I create/add EVENT CCKs. This includes adding event start/end times, event notes and selecting the VENUE_NAME (which is a node reference field to the VENUE CCK) from a select menu.
In admin> views, i create a page view called 'event' that filters on my Event CCK Type and adds fields for display from all the 4 tables described above.
When i load the view into my browser, ONLY those fields that ARE DIRECLTY selected or filled in on the Add Event CCK form show up in view. All fields that are created on the Add Venue CCK (city, state, website url) DO NOT show in the view, even though i've selected city, state, website url from the views 'fields' section. And eventhough, the Venue CCK is related to the Event CCK via field of type "node reference".
The only thing i can think of is that the view isn't performing a join on the Venue Table and it's Associated location table.
It would seem like relations between CCK nodes and other nodes like events and locations would be pretty common to build robust drupal applications, so i know there has to be a workaround for this. i'm either using views wrong, there's a bug, or this is a task that needs to be handled manually with custom code.
1) can anyone clarify for me if views can handle queries on nodes with relations across multiple tables like my example shows?
2) or if it needs to be handled manually (with custom code), any snippets and where to put them?
3) THIS IS A BIGGIE FOR ME.. is there any way to trace the view, it's vars, db calls, db queries, etc WHILE i load the view in the browser so i can debug what it's doing when it's loaded?
I'm kind of stuck in the water until i can get this one working.. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated...
thanks in advance