Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Last updated October 1, 2014.
Unlike traditional version control systems like CVS or SVN, a Git repository can be a completely local undertaking. Consequently, to work with Git, you first install it on your local machine.
Wikipedia holds a list of available Git clients and (IDE) plugins.
Git download page
To get started quickly:
Mac / Linux
- Installing Git on Linux and OSX.
- Install Git on Ubuntu
- Installing Git on Mac using Macports tutorial.
- Video on Installing and Configuring Git (Intro to Git series)
- Brief video tutorial on how to install Git and a Git GUI on a Mac
- Starting by installing msysgit (Git for Windows) is a good idea. Don't select the git-cheetah Windows Explorer extension in the installer, it's not actively developed.
- An illustrated guide to Git on Windows (2009) might be helpful to read.
- Video showing how to Install Git from the Drupal Ladder lessons
- Brief video tutorial on how to install Git and a Git GUI on Windows
- Getting started with Git (for Drupal) on Windows - a step-by-step guide
Git graphical user interface (GUI) tools
Visit the Git GUI tools page for a list of Git tools with graphical user interfaces, if you prefer using those rather than working on the command line.