Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
Scald is a popular and flexible way to handle media in Drupal.
Scald can handle images, video, audio, tweets and even Flash files. Scald works with YouTube, Vimeo, Soundcloud and many other providers. You can see a full list on the scald provider's page, you can also read our FAQ.
For end-users Scald is a great option because you can use Scald with popular editing tools such as CKEditor, and with Plupload for multiple file uploads. Scald also has a very user-friendly media library, based on Views.
For developers, one of the best things about Scald is that it treats all files as full-blown fieldable entities.
Finally, Scald has been proven to scale. Some Scald sites have nearly a million media items. Users include Radio France (national public radio), ARTE (the Franco-German TV network), Le Figaro (the biggest newspaper in France). Scald is optimized for performance and uses its own caching system that works well with other caching layer (core filter cache etc.)
Feel free to test the latest version of Scald on SimplyTest.me!
- Media Atoms: full-blown fieldable entities
- Unified Type: an image Media Atom bundle can be a local file, a photo on Flickr or on Facebook
- Media Licensing Management: Scald includes a Media Licensing Management, which is a mandatory feature when using professional grade Media Atom sources - whether uploaded or online.
- Standards: Scald implements a standardized mechanism for manipulating various types of Media Atoms - Files, Social Media Posts, Streamed Media
- View mode/Context: each Media Atom can be rendered in different view modes, using different players
- Native support for transcoders (e.g. image styles)
- Native and extensible control access support
- Drag and Drop Media Atoms directly to a richtext editor or a Media Atom Reference field
- Views-based library
- Easy to extend: module can add Types, Media Atom providers, Contexts, Transcoders and Players
- QuickEdit integration for inline editing, with CKEditor integration
- Easy and intuitive multiple upload with integration with the plupload module.
- Integration with many contrib modules: Entity API, Entity Translation, Features, Search API
With two bonuses :
- Automated testing
- A lot of Media Atom providers: see the full list below, or a list of Scald providers as separate projects
Sites made with Scald
- Big Radio Station Sites like France Info, France Inter, France Culture, France Bleu, FIP, Le Mouv' (French Public National Radios), or Radio Nova
- TV channels like ARTE
- Magazines like Santé Magazine
- Public and Government Sites
These are large production sites running Scald and managing 500 000+ Media Atoms. Feel free to let us know your sites made with Scald.
Scald Galaxy is a distribution that helps you quickly test and develop Scald. It includes even more features than the demo website. Scald Galaxy can be tested directly at Simplytest.me.
- Inline editing works with QuickEdit 7.x-1.2 or higher
- CKEditor integration works with CKEditor 7.x-1.13 or higher
- CKEditor 4.1 works out of the box with Scald Core. However, the allowedContent setting may trouble some providers. It is recommended to disable it. Issue in Drupal core (D8) and in CKEditor (D7).
Besides the online documentation and IRC channel #drupal-scald on Freenode, some other help on Scald is available on the Internet.
Since April 2012, the module is focused on Drupal 7. UX redesign was performed for this version.
This version includes natively support for Video/Audio/Image/Flash local files. 3rd party providers like YouTube, Vimeo, Dailymotion, Soundcloud, Twitter now are separate projects
Of course, you can create your own providers and share, API is really easy to start with.
D6 now has the same new UI of D7 version. You can check the HOWTO.txt if you want to install it on your site.
In June 2013, Scald Won a CMSDay Award, in the category "Best Back-Office Innovation", competing with other Open Source CMS competitors. Press release here (in French)
- Maintenance status: Actively maintained
- Development status: Under active development
- Module categories: Administration, Content, Content Construction Kit (CCK), Content Display, Fields, File Management, Filters/Editors, Media
- Reported installs: 3,729 sites currently report using this module. View usage statistics.
- Downloads: 54,761
- Automated tests: Enabled
- Last modified: August 5, 2016
- Stable releases are covered by the security advisory policy.
Look for the shield icon below.