Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2010-072
- Project: Hierarchical Select (third-party module)
- Version: 5.x, 6.x
- Date: 2010-July-07
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
The Hierarchical Select module provides a "hierarchical_select" form element, which is a greatly enhanced way for letting the user select items in a taxonomy. The module does not sanitize some of the user-supplied data before displaying it, leading to a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) vulnerability that may lead to a malicious user gaining full administrative access.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that the attacker must have a role with the 'administer taxonomy' permission.
- Hierarchical Select module for Drupal 5.x versions prior to 5.x-3.2
- Hierarchical Select module for Drupal 6.x versions prior to 6.x-3.2
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Hierarchical Select module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Hierarchical Select module for Drupal 5.x upgrade to Hierarchical Select 5.x-3.2
- If you use the Hierarchical Select module for Drupal 6.x upgrade to Hierarchical Select 6.x-3.2
See also the Hierarchical Select project page.
- Jingxiang Rao
- Sam Oldak
- Wim Leers, the module maintainer
- Sam Oldak