Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2010-023
- Project: Workflow (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x, 5.x
- Date: 2010-March-03
- Security risk: Less Critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting
When used in combination with the Token module, the Workflow module does not escape the text entered into the Comment field of the workflow fieldset on the node form. This allows a user with the permission to change the workflow state of a node to perform a Cross Site Scripting (XSS) attack if a workflow has been assigned to that content type and the option to "Show a comment field in the workflow section of the editing form" or "Show a comment field in the workflow section of the workflow tab form" is checked in the workflow settings. Both are checked by default.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Workflow module and the contributed Token module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use Workflow 6.x-1.x, upgrade to Workflow 6.x-1.4
- If you use Workflow 5.x-2.x, upgrade to Workflow 5.x-2.6
See also the Workflow project page.
- George Cassie (gcassie)
- John VanDyk (jvandyk), module maintainer
The security contact for Drupal can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the form at http://drupal.org/contact.