Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
My new book, Drupal for Dummies, is now available. My intended audience is non-technical, so if you've got a friend who wants you to build a Drupal site for them, this might be worth mentioning to them. The companion Web site, http://drupalfordummies.com was created using only the information presented in the book.
You can find out more about the book here:
Click for Drupal Association affiliate link to Amazon!
I'd love to hear from you with any comments or questions.
About the Book
Like other books in the for Dummies series, Drupal for Dummies is for beginners. As my publisher puts it:
Everyone has to start somewhere. Before you can go about modifying the Drupal code base by writing PHP scripts and creating your own custom themes, you first have to download Drupal, install the LAMP stack; organize and create your site's content; apply templates, get your first site up and running, and administer the site.
That's precisely what Drupal For Dummies shows readers how to do, and much more Designed for non-programmers, Drupal For Dummies shows readers how to take advantage of everything in Drupal that is ready to use, including modules and third-party templates. For those readers who have been tapped to administer a Drupal site designed and programmed by a third-party developer, Drupal For Dummies provides the plain English instructions necessary to make changes across the site, manager user access and privileges, and many other high-frequency administrative tasks.
I wrote this with the non-coder in mind. I plan on giving a copy to everyone in my life who wishes they had a Web site or asks me to build them one. Don't buy this book if you need a guide to locating PHP functions, creating themes, or making modules. But if you know absolutely nothing about Drupal and want to build an out-of-the-Drupal box Web site with great modules, this may be the book for you.
- Start here — find the free software and get simple solutions on things like setting up a database and installing Drupal on a Web host
- Who's in charge — manage an administrator account, establish rules, and control site users
- What's on your site — create, manage, and edit your content, and decide whether to allow comments
- Where's your region? — work with themes and regions and manage menus
- Open forum — create a site with a blog and forum and set up appropriate security
- Stay current — keep Drupal up to date, monitor activity on your site, and locate new modules and themes to use
- Cover your bases — maintain your database, back it up, and know how to restore it
- Move up — see how Drupal can build a robust site that interacts with other sites and how to set up an online store with Ubercart
- What Drupal is and what it's not
- Tools you need to install Drupal
- How to decide on rules and settings for your site
- Advice on choosing, changing, and configuring themes
- All about modules
- How to use reports
It's definitely for sale on Amazon, and shipping to bookstores right now. Click for Drupal Association affiliate link to Amazon!