I am currently researching how to integrate CKFinder with CKEditor using the wysiwyg module. I am getting close to hacking a solution but thought I would start a discussion with the community and the module maintainers for a sub-module.
In the past some of the WYSIWYG editors required you configure a file manager via server-side configuration files. More recently with Ckeditor you are required to register the file manager on the instance of the editor in the DOM of the browser (http://docs.cksource.com/CKEditor_3.x/Developers_Guide/File_Browser_%28U...). This is attractive in that you could in theory use any file manager with the editor.
1. Create a module called wysiwyg_filemanager
2. The purpose of the module is to provide a centralized management interface to registering file managers both 3rd party and provide bridges for Drupal life and media management modules.
3. File managers would be located in a similar manor to editors /sites/all/libraries/.
4. A configuration interface should be provided to register file managers
5. A configuration interface should be provided to assign a file manager to a supported wysiwyg editor
The possiblities for this module would perhaps have one or more drupal modules provided both management and uploading of media. For example providing a bridge between filefield and web file manager (although currently not viable)
Or using CkFinder or other managers to centerally manage all files and media for a Drupal site.
Let's use this issue to discuss the design and perhaps even code samples.