Updated: Comment #99
Follow up for. Node base fields are translatable in storage but not configurable in the UI.
Steps to Test
From Kristen Pol in #30 (plus updates).
- Reset 8.x
- Apply the latest patch
- Install Drupal in English
- Enable language and content translation modules
- Add a language
- Go to content language settings page (admin/config/regional/content-language) Home > Administration > Configuration > Regional and language
- For Custom Language Settings, check content, and then check translatable for article.
- Notice checkbox for title (not to be confused with the title of the image field).
Show on the content language settings page also non-configurable fields having the
translatable property set to true in their definition. Content Translation uses this information to tell whether the field supports translation and alters the field definition based on the actual translatability status stored in its own config settings. For instance:
- The node title definitions says it is translatable
- The content language settings page shows it as untranslatable, because CT has no settings stored for it yet
- Node title is marked as translatable in the UI
- Content Translation alters the field definition to reflect that (actually nothing changes)
- Node title is marked as untranslatable in the UI
- Content Translation alters the field definition to reflect that (the field definition is switched to untranslatable)
The title field is used as a proof of concept here, other node fields will be handled in a follow-up.
Write a patch Add test coverage Reviews Make the issue summary proposed resolution accurate
User interface changes
Properties will show up alongside configurable fields in node translation configuration.
Before (from #46):
After (from #46):
Without the patch, the admin content listing has a row for each translation and the original source node title is shown for all. With the patch, the translated title is shown for translation, gotten from the database which now saves the translated title for each translation.
After (from #46):
An exception is thrown when trying to make entity id, uuid, revision id, bundle and language fields translatable.
In #38 on 6/27, @Dries states,
As this discussed with the D8MI team, this is part of 4 critical issues for D8MI:
. So this is an approved API change at #43