- The current field creation workflow in the field UI is somewhat overwhelming to users.
- Users have to step through a series of three forms to add a field.
- Additionally, there are some accessibility concerns with having the "Add new field" and "Reuse existing field" options in the field listing table.
- In and , @yched (the field maintainer) has suggested moving the "Add field" operation onto its own form so that there is more space to provide a good interaction for creating a new field.
Beta phase evaluation
|Issue category||Task (not a feature) because the form already exists, and the patch does not add or remove any functionality.|
|Issue priority||Major because the Field UI is one of the most important site builder UIs, and it consistently trips users up in usability studies. This change also will make further UX improvements to the Field UI more feasible. It is not critical because the current UI already exists in Drupal 7.|
|Prioritized changes||The main goal is to improve both the usability and accessibility of this important form, so it is a prioritized change for the beta phase.|
The impact of this change is clearly greater than the disruption, so this is a good issue to complete during the beta.(@webchick in #52, @xjm in #167.)
- Remove the "Add new field" and "Reuse existing field" rows from the manage fields table.
- Add a local action button for "Add field".
- "Add field" provides a form where the user:
- Enters the field label, which automatically generates a machine name as per usual.
- Selects either "Create new field" or "Reuse existing field", which reveal options with states...
- For "Reuse existing field," the option reveals a selection box with the existing fields.
- For "Add new field," the option reveals the field type selection box as well as the field settings (like maximum # values, entity reference entity type, etc.)
- For both, the widget selection element is shown.
- For now, submitting this form takes the user to the existing field instance settings form.
- Go to content types -> basic page -> Manage fields
- Add a field
New button on manage fields
New add field screen