Too many options under configuration options for fields/ filters/contextual filters/ relationships: Participants feel “overwhelmed” when they see the long scrolling list of options. The problem gets worse because the participants do not necessarily see the “Search” option. This has multiple causes:
- The description text makes it significantly harder to scan, this because it visually creates two lines and creates highly variable rows.
- The description text often adds no additional information.
- The design has insufficient spacing, also decreasing readability - because its not a standard table design.
- The filter/search is awkwardly placed, causing them to be often missed.
The criticality of this issue is determined by the fact that this completely overwhelms users, to the point that they either start pogo-sticking or looking elsewhere. The overwhelming effect of Views has many parts, this is one of the very important contributors.
The solution is relatively meta, its attacking this problem on multiple axes. The most important issue, that this issue intends to solve is the fact that by not using tables and grouping information we are largely creating that overwhelming effect.
The main proposal is to turn it into a table and group the information:
|Task||Novice task?||Contributor instructions||Complete?|
|Manually test the patch||Novice||Instructions|
|Embed before and after screenshots in the issue summary *for current 8.0.x head* and *for the most recent patch*||Novice||Instructions|
|Review patch to ensure that it fixes the issue, stays within scope, is properly documented, and follows coding standards||Instructions|
User interface changes
- Changes div listing into table.
- Moves the search box into the top
after patch #91
Beta phase evaluation
|Issue category||Bug because usability issues in a core task of the views ui|
|Issue priority||Major because user testing shows users have trouble completing add field task|
|Prioritized changes||The main goal of this issue is usability|
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [PHP 5.5 MySQL] 114,000 pass(es). View
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [PHP 5.5 MySQL] 113,981 pass(es). View
PASSED: [[SimpleTest]]: [PHP 5.5 MySQL] 113,483 pass(es). View