Drupal Association members fund grants that make connections all over the world.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-146
- Project: Simplenews Scheduler (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-September-19
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Arbitrary PHP code execution
The Simplenews Scheduler module provides a system for creating automatic email newsletters. These can be set to be sent at a fixed interval, or PHP code can be entered to evaluate a condition for a new newsletter issue to be sent.
The module allows a user with the 'send scheduled newsletters' access to the scheduling form where PHP code may be entered. This code is then executed the next time the site runs cron. A site administrator granting permissions is not given sufficient warning that they are granting this level of access to the site.
This vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have already been granted a role with the permission 'send scheduled newsletters'.
- Simplenews Scheduler 6.x-2.x versions prior to 6.x-2.3.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed Simplenews Scheduler module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Simplenews Scheduler module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Simplenews Scheduler 6.x-2.4
Also see the Simplenews Scheduler project page.
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.