Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-126
- Project: HotBlocks (third-party module)
- Version: 6.x
- Date: 2012-August-15
- Security risk: Moderately critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Scripting, Multiple vulnerabilities
The Hotblocks module provides an enhanced GUI for administering blocks and block content that is intended to be simpler and more controllable for less privileged users than the default block administration tools.
Cross Site Scripting (XSS)
The module doesn't sufficiently sanitize the user input for "block names" on the module's settings page. A user could inject arbitrary scripts into pages affecting site users.
This XSS vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that an attacker must have a role with the permission "administer hotblocks".
Denial of Service (DoS)
The hotblocks user interface also allows a user to configure one hotblock to reference itself as content, thereby creating an infinite loop and potentially rendering a site unusable.
The DoS vulnerability is mitigated by the fact that a user must have a role with the permission "administer hotblocks" or a user with said permission must have configured the site such that it allows hotblocks to be embedded in other hotblocks.
- Hotblocks 6.x-1.x versions prior to 6.x-1.8.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed HotBlocks module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the Hotblocks module for Drupal 6.x, upgrade to Hotblocks 6.x-1.8
Also see the HotBlocks project page.
- Justin Dodge the module maintainer
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.