Voting starts in March for the Drupal Association Board election.
- Advisory ID: DRUPAL-SA-CONTRIB-2012-085
- Project: BrowserID (Mozilla Persona) (third-party module)
- Version: 7.x
- Date: 2012-May-23
- Security risk: Critical
- Exploitable from: Remote
- Vulnerability: Cross Site Request Forgery (results in Privilege Escalation)
BrowserID login theft:
The BrowserID module provides integration with BrowserID (also known as Mozilla Persona) -- a Mozilla project that lets users of your site quickly and easily log in without needing to remember a password specific to your site.
The module did not sufficiently validate requests for authentication to log in, potentially allowing a Cross Site Request Forgery (CSRF) attack and introducing the possibility that logging in to a malicious site with BrowserID could give that site the ability to log in to other websites using your BrowserID identity.
- BrowserID (Mozilla Persona) 7.x-1.x versions prior to 7.x-1.3.
Drupal core is not affected. If you do not use the contributed BrowserID (Mozilla Persona) module, there is nothing you need to do.
Install the latest version:
- If you use the BrowserID module for Drupal 7.x, upgrade to BrowserID 7.x-1.3
This version adds a dependency on the Session API module. Make sure you install Session API before upgrading to BrowserID 7.x-1.3.
Also see the BrowserID (Mozilla Persona) project page.
- Isaac Sukin, the module maintainer
- Greg Knaddison of the Drupal Security Team
Contact and More Information
The Drupal security team can be reached at security at drupal.org or via the contact form at http://drupal.org/contact.