The main purpose of the Translate Interface Update page is
1. To check the status of the updates
2. To decide whether or not to update the translations manually
The page is mainly used by:
a. System administrators
b. Translation maintainers
I have reworked the design of the page to simplify it, to remove noise and modeled it after the Available Updates page. See http://drupal.org/files/l10n_update-simplity-update-page.png
Notes in the design:
1. Click to expand/collapse. Collapsed by default.
2. Shows 'Up to date' when all of this module are up to date. Shows 'Updates available' when one or more updates are available.
3. No local/remote text.
4. Summary status is only shown when collapsed.
5. Link to ftp.drupal.org