First  am new to some of this but am excited to be here and looking forward to getting my site up. So here is my issue .  I downloaded the latest version of D10 here on this site in zip format. Uploaded it to my shared hosting server (greengeeks...USA) via file upload in Cpanel unzipped it and got to the install wizard and when I get to the database section mysql is not an option as I had read in the install guides I read. In fact there were no option to choose from only sqlite with a radio button but that was it. No other choices.

So I read several interesting but not quite relayed articule and hundreds of pist in the forums with no help. So I tried to just do it again but use ftp to load it to the server. I downloaded a new core and got same issue. Any sugestions?

Comments

VM’s picture

If the option isn't there then it is most likely your hosting account does not have it enabled or access to anything other than SQLite. Speak with host or review host documentation (knowledge base) for database options available to you on the host.

user9000’s picture

Thanx for the lightning fast reply...but no my host has it.

I used in more then once testing other cms's.

Also I set up the databases I wanted to use prior to attempting the install. So I know I have them, there names and passwords.
What other solutions should I try next? I am really interested in this cms for my little site.  And thanks again for yoyr help.

gisle’s picture

I have 14 years of experience with Drupal, and I haven't seen this before. It should not happen. Unless someone who has experienced and resolved it comes along, it can't be resolved here in the support forum. You need to reach out to your hosting provider for support.

You write that you installed Drupal by downloading the zip-file. This is not the recommended way to install Drupal in 2023. Instead, you should use composer, as described here.

If your hosting provider does not let you use composer to install and maintain Drupal, you either need to find another hosting provider, or find another CMS.

Not using composer to install Drupal is not the reason MySQL does not appear as an option in the installer, but not having access to composer is going to hurt whenever you need to upgrade Drupal (this happens around twice a month, and is not optional if you want to maintain security), and also will prevent you from installing most Drupal extensions that depends on third party libraries. IMHO, not having access to composer to install and maintain Drupal is such a horrible experience that is better to warn new users up-front, than let them crawl down that rabbit hole and get trapped.

- gisle

user9000’s picture

I have been working understanding your (drupal) cms for sometime now in my cpanel it is offered as a one click solution that I have been unsuccessfull in setting in the past. I contacted the hosting company and they said the installer was out of date so they installed drush on the server and told me it would now. Of couse it didnt because I dont think they really them selves.

Now I am a little confused but starting to get this I think, please be patient with me and help me to make it completely clear. 

The upside of having trouble is that Ihave spent many hours reading help files and forum post. I am somewhat familiar with command line/terminal machine usage because of the old Dos days before windows. Also I have a basic Lenix knowledge from a file server I set up and ran in the mid 90's.

But have not done much online in 10-12 years and thing have changed alot. Anyway back on point I would much prefer command line anyway. Now here is where my confusion is now. I have a Drush directory on the server inside is composer and many other directories. So I think I have the prerequisites already in place.

However from terminal in cpanel none of the composer commands or drush commands for that matter do anything.. however lenix commands do i.e ls, cd.

So I feel like I am so very close just something simple that I not doing yet. It is somewhat confusing but I feel so close again.. I have been reading and trying different thing for over a month and more than once i Thought I had it. I didnt want to need to bother the community until all other avenues were exhausted.

SO please help me over this last hump.

Thanks again for your up front honesty aswell, because no one like the rabbit hole after all.

gisle’s picture

I have never heard about "lenix". Do you mean "Linux"?

And what do you mean when you say that "none of the composer commands or drush commands … do anything"? What happens if you type "composer -V" from the terminal?

- gisle

user9000’s picture

After a reboot terminal now works fine. Might have me but anyway. When i input composer -v I got back the version 2.4.4 . Then later after verifiying my databases names and passwords I had no problem setting up the frame work with composer. Thing are making alittle more since as go along. After some more reading  will finish with the Install.

Thanks for the help on these matter. Oh just out of curiousity I got the D10 tar ball not zip from the web site and loaded on the server to see if also fail to give an option for databases in set up that way. And again on my server there was no choice for me just sqlite.(This was before using composer) I thought maybe the zipfile was corrupt someway. I was curios becaise you said you never heard of it so it makes you  go hummmm.

Anyway thanks again.... gisle and VM

user9000’s picture

I have spent hours on the drupal site reading the help forums and nothing has worked yet. i used the zip/ftp method, the composer/drush method and the one click method from cpanel

I have also tried several versions all rendering same result see screen shot

https://snipboard.io/x0SGOh.jpg

All of these set up the files and folders but when I navigate to the site page to fi ish the i stallation I get to the database set up a d only sqlite is available to.

See screen shot here....https://snipboard.io/3fHIeq.jpg

gisle- I know you said this is unherd of and i believe you know what your talking about. So how do I proceed. I have tried evrything I have seen or herd of in the fprums before asking for help again,  but if this is new /unknown to you what chaance do I have alone.

I am not lazy just wanting an easy way out of a ything just cant understand this should  be so hard to do should it.

user9000’s picture

The issue was with the PHP version and configuration, I had changed to PHP 8.2 in cPanel but that version doesn't have the pdo_mysql extension by default. I've enabled that and the page is now loading for me

Maybe this will help someone else one day.