We have been using Xanga for our needs thus far, but a lot of our users are leaving because, well, Xanga sucks. Basically, I'm the leader of a church youth group whose members live all over a city. Many are migrating to Myspace and personal blogs, which is fine, but the parents are not too keen on that given all the myspace rapes and such. I've only ever used Mambo before, and don't feel like using it again, for probably obvious reasons.

What we'd like to do is have one site that can have a blog for each user, a place that aggregates all those blogs into one page, obviously a commenting system for those, and the ability to keep ALL of that private to a login. New user registrations would need to be approved first. Privacy is important because these are kids.

However, we'd also like to allow them the option to create a blog elsewhere, and I simply aggregate an RSS feed into the blogging system. That may be asking a lot, but it doesn't have to tightly integrate as long as people on the site can read external blogs. Really, anything else is extraneous except perhaps a forum or media gallery.

Would Drupal work for that? I'm a developer, so if I needed to create a custom module for something I could, but am looking for an out-of-the-box solution if possible.

Comments

drupalec-1’s picture

sangamreddi was writing a myspace module. you can private message s and see how it's coming
-----
Drupal ecommerce, at www.drupalecommerce.com is a new site written using language that Drupal beginners and intermediate users can understand. It has about 300 unfinished pages. 2 tutorials for views module under "Modules"

rszrama’s picture

Yes, Drupal would work for that. Only thing there I don't recognize as out of the box (but it might be) is the aggregation you're talking about. If you run into any problems setting up a test site, you can contact me through my contact form and I'd be happy to help you out.

agaffin’s picture

At least for 4.6.x, this module will let you grab an RSS (not Atom) feed and import items into Drupal as full-fledged "nodes" (i.e., they become searchable, you can categorize them, etc.). Alternately, the default aggregator module that comes with Drupal will let you grab feeds and create pages for them, but they're not searchable, you can't put them into your overall site taxonomy and the like.

lunas’s picture

I created much the same thing you're looking for using Drupal and available modules. The only difference is that I have it open to the public but there are simple authentication methods that could be used to restrict it to a group. In fact organic groups module would do that within the public site if you wanted...

http://www.freejournal.net

Feel free to ask if you have any questions about it. Biggest problem I've had with it are daily spam attacks, but the captcha system, spam module, and bad behaviour module seem to have taken care of it (with exception that they repeatedly hit my server using up resources...)